When You Succeed, I Succeed | My Work as a Peer Career Educator

Portrait of Anna O'Meara in a black shirt and blue pantsMost Friday afternoons as a Peer Career Educator are quiet. Students want to be doing anything but extra work, so I only had one student that day. I’ll call her Grace. She came in with a blank sheet of paper and a job application deadline for 5 p.m. She’d never written a resume before, but her desire for the position fueled her determination. Grace and I brainstormed everything—the nonprofit she started, the leadership roles, the volunteer hours, and the summer job. With the exception of a couple of bathroom breaks, she and I worked four hours straight. At 4:25 p.m., we were done. She had poured her heart and soul into this résumé–Each word was chosen to have the best impact possible. Grace submitted it and we both let out a sigh of relief, proud of what we had accomplished. 

Although I’ve had many people come into the office and tell us they received the job with our help, this was my favorite because it was her first résumé, her first professional job, and we both worked hard to get her there. This is what being a Peer Career Educator (PCE) is all about: students helping students succeed.

I love working as a PCE and helping each student. Each day is fun and challenges me to do my best. Every person who comes in the door brings something new, so the job is never boring. While there are tangible perks such as A/C on hot days, the occasional free donut, and a once-a-semester surprise visit from Addie, the best part of the role is helping students get the job or get into graduate school.

About the Author: Anna O’Meara attends the U of R as a student and works as a Peer Career Educator at the Office of Career & Professional Development. She is a double major in English and Political Science with a minor in Spanish, as well as a member of the University’s swim team.

By Anna Omeara
Anna Omeara Profile Picture