We are looking for a Senior Communications Associate with 5 – 7 years of experience to bring Acumen’s stories and brand to life. We are looking for someone with excellent writing skills. This role is located in NYC. Acumen is working in office 2 days a week.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services offer important opportunities to people living in poverty. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 309 million lives by investing $137M in 139 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t only about capital, we’ve been investing in innovators for years, connecting with emerging leaders around the world and engaging them in collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About the Role
This role is responsible for uncovering insights, structuring narratives and arguments, and writing compelling copy to bring Acumen’s most important stories to life. These stories will be in service of Acumen’s communications and brand objectives, sometimes written in partnership with senior executives. The role will develop and own Acumen’s pipeline of written stories, stay up to date on key initiatives and distill complex, sometimes technical, investments or programmatic initiatives into simple and motivating communications assets, including:
- Long-form content (reports, thought pieces i.e. Linkedin and Medium, etc.)
- Short-form content (blog posts, case studies, marketing collateral, etc.)
- Media pieces (press releases, OpEds, etc.)
- Investment summaries
As much of our work has many stakeholders, this role will also help us develop and adhere to best practices for our internal processes and stakeholder management without compromising on creative integrity. This includes updating and maintaining guidelines for a distinctive brand voice, brand vocabulary, personality, style, search optimization and effectiveness.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Communications, this role will craft a content calendar based on organizational goals as well as identify internal thought leaders whose expertise and voice should be elevated and shared. The role is responsible for a range of assignments and coaching colleagues to improve their writing and storytelling skills.
- Crafting stories and narratives sourced through internal networks.
- Telling stories that inspire and motivate a variety of audiences from high-net worth individuals, to executives at Fortune 500 corporations, to those leading change in marginalized communities in the world.
- Monitoring social media.
- Structuring and communicating process for your creative efforts.
- Understanding functional and organizational goals and developing original and creative ideas to meet those goals.
- Understanding Acumen’s various business models and tailoring compelling content to meet different audience needs.
- Collaborating with team members across different disciplines to drive their agendas, meet goals and effective marketing communications.
- Conducting best practices training for team members who frequently write or pitch Acumen’s work
- Meeting deadlines, prioritizing workloads, and maintaining a strong attention to detail to meet quality measures
- Driving decisions based on data, assessing content metrics and performance and adapting approaches to achieve increased effectiveness and a more impactful and distinctive brand.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5 – 7 years professional writing experience (agency or in-house)
- A strong background in journalism, PR, and/or copywriting + proofreading (agency or brand) for well known or creatively respected brands
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A writing portfolio that demonstrates a range of styles and proficiency in technical/financial content and a passion for connecting with readers
- Strong marketing and communications experience
- Experience in non-profit or fundraising storytelling is a plus
- Experience working with senior executives on their communications needs
- Proven ability to work through ambiguity and deliver results
- Pro-active and an ability to find compelling stories in unexpected places, with experience telling them across a variety of formats (see above)
- Ability to partner with colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Self reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Permanent work authorization in the U.S.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.