NJ Advance Media seeks an assertive and versatile sports journalist with polished skills for a general assignment position that will include opportunities for in-depth features, long-form enterprise and long-term projects.
The candidate must be ready for the demands of covering pro and college sports in the most competitive media market in the country. The reporter should have experience on a major college or professional sports beat and exhibit the ability to break news; uncover, report and craft compelling stories; and have the confidence to fill in on any of our pro and college beats.
NJ Advance Media, N.J.’s largest and most influential news organization, provides content for NJ.com, The Star-Ledger and our other affiliated papers. Our newsroom values innovation, voice, competition and, most importantly, a shared passion for journalism. Our teams have won three Pulitzer Prizes, more than two dozen NY Emmy Awards for our video work and virtually every major award that recognizes excellence in News, Sports, Features and Data journalism.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to:
- Report and write with energy, tenacity and urgency, and have the muscle to break news. Have the savvy to report difficult stories, and the guts to question the people and teams we cover.
- Build and maintain sources.
- Identify, report and write high-impact sports journalism, including long-form enterprise.
- Write with voice, authority and accuracy to create polished copy.
- Use time effectively and treats deadlines as sacrosanct
- Juggle stories and responsibilities without being flustered by breaking news and fluid assignments.
- Be a teammate who supports staff members, collaborates and communicates effectively, and is willing to learn from (and teach) colleagues.
- Generate work that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete while using a diverse range of sources.
- Engage with editors on the best way to tell stories, digitally and in print.
- Show a knack for constructive, respectful and positive social media engagement that will help NJ Advance Media build our brand and grow our community.
For this position we’re looking for candidates with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- Minimum 3 years of pro or college sports beat experience, with demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Experience with search engine optimization practices
- Have a working knowledge of the AP Stylebook.
- Demonstrated capability to react quickly as news breaks
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates NJAM from its competitors
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.