Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and supporting them as they reach new heights in learning? Teachers at Alpha have the opportunity to create and safeguard opportunities for students in under-resourced communities while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
Alpha is committed to ensuring that every student is prepared to get to and through college. The AVID Teacher and Site Coordinator is tasked with equipping our students with the skills necessary to be successful in college, and supporting them as they build a college-going identity. The AVID Teacher and Site Coordinator will ensure effective implementation of the AVID program by adapting and facilitating the AVID 9 curriculum to best meet the needs of Alpha students. This is an incredible opportunity for an educator who is passionate about supporting students on their journey to college.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs: teachers who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher’s practice. We are looking for educators who are reflective in their practice and are willing to engage in conversations around educational equity and inclusivity. At Alpha, you will uphold rigorous expectations for all students, while leading from a place of empathy and understanding. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career. We’re committed to finding educators who value and celebrate the diverse experiences of our scholars and their families, and who care deeply about addressing the inequities that exist in education.
What you’ll do…
Oversee the implementation of the AVID program at Alpha
- Attend AVID professional development to become our resident expert
- Act as the liaison between the AVID program and CAHS to ensure program compliance
- Create and facilitate professional development for AVID instructors
- Adapt AVID curriculum to meet the needs of Alpha students, families, and staff
- Review lesson plans and offer feedback for teachers facilitating AVID-10
- Observe and coach AVID-10 teachers
- Collaborate with Alpha’s college success team and ensure program alignment
- Collect, review, and implement feedback from Alpha students and staff to promote program impact and continuous improvement
- Collect data in order to complete the Coaching and Certification Instrument (CCI) yearly
Lead an academically rigorous classroom
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials to teach AVID-9
- Facilitate 5 sections of AVID for 9th grade students
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions
- Collect and respond to student data to support both academic and socio-emotional growth
Build Relationships with our scholars, passionate staff, and committed families
- Maintain an open line of communication with families
- Engage in the Alpha community outside of the classroom
- Demonstrate a high level of cultural competence at all times
- Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Alpha
- Receive and implement feedback from experienced educational coaches
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with and learn from colleagues
- Be committed to growing your teaching through independent study and research
- A Bachelor’s degree (required)
- A preliminary or clear California teaching credential in any subject area (required)
- College Readiness subject matter expertise and strong classroom management skills
You stand out by being…
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities. Approximately 80% of Alpha’s students are from under-resourced communities and will be the first in their families to go to college. The majority of our students are Latinx and/or Vietnamese
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute tasks.
- Experienced: You have 2+ years of experience teaching high school in an under-resourced community, and/or you have a background of shared experience with our scholars. Preferably experience with teaching core high school subjects.
- Bilingual: Fluent in Spanish or Vietnamese
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org