Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about leading adults and supporting them as they help students reach new heights in learning? Staff at Alpha have the opportunity to create and safeguard opportunities for students in under-resourced communities while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
As the Senior Accountant, you will control and manage all accounting functions at Alpha to ensure that the organization is in full compliance with internal and external financial policies and regulations.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs: leaders who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher’s practice. We are looking for leaders who are reflective in their practice and are willing to engage in conversations around educational equity and inclusivity. We’re committed to finding leaders who value and amplify the diverse experiences of our staff and scholars and their families, and who care deeply about addressing the inequities that exist in education.
What you’ll do…
- Coordinate and complete monthly and year-end close process
- Project manage the Alpha audit process
- Prepare internal budget and transaction reports for review and correction on a monthly basis
- Analyze revenues and expenditures to ensure they are recorded appropriately
- Coordinate the resolution of payment issues with vendors, interfacing with internal site managers and development team members, as needed
- Compare budget to actuals and follow up with local or state entities regarding missing payments, as needed
- Ensure accurate bank reconciliations
- Prepare journal entries as required
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts and post related entries
- Maintain the fixed assets schedule, including depreciation and accrual; post year-end journal entries
- Create and review financial statements for accuracy and recommend correcting entries
- Maintain and oversee accounting files in an organized and systematic manner
- Adhere to California Charter School Accounting Guidelines and best practices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (Masters Degree and/or CPA preferred) or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 4 years professional experience in accounting
- A love for accounting and familiarity with best practices, including GAAP, GASB, and FASB as well as reporting requirements
- Proficiency with excel/google sheets, specifically vlookups, pivot tables, data filters, etc.
- Experience with accounting platforms such as Netsuite
- Strong prioritization skills to accommodate a high level of responsibility while managing multiple project needs.
- Superior relationship-building and relationship-management skills with emphasis on stakeholder engagement
You stand out by being…
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented, enjoy working across a range of individuals and groups, and seek out the thought partnership of a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Highly organized and detail oriented: You understand the critical need to ensure that funds are accurately accounted for in our financial system and statements.
- Dependable: You can be trusted to maintain confidentiality while managing projects, communicating progress, and following through independently.
- Receptive to feedback: You embrace feedback and look for opportunities to be responsive to it, incorporating it into your practice.
- Experienced: You have a track record of success in charter school finance, with at least 5 years of work experience with increasing leadership, people management, and strategic planning responsibilities.
- A strong communicator: You have the ability to communicate complicated financial information in a simple, accessible manner.
- Passionate: You are energized by the Alpha’s mission and seek to help improve the lives of low-income families and students in San Jose, CA.
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com