American Museum Of Natural History
Urban Advantage Coordinator of Professional Learning
The Coordinator of Professional Learning will work with a team of educators to design and facilitate innovative professional learning (PL) courses for the Urban Advantage (UA) science initiative and provide a range of additional supports to UA school communities including teachers, parent coordinators and administrators to promote three-dimensional, phenomenon-based science instruction in grades 6 through 8 in participating schools. The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent scientific and cultural institutions, and has as its mission to discover, interpret and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education and exhibition. The Gottesman Center for Science Teaching and Learning brings together in one organizational structure all the Museum’s activities directed towards K-12 schools and teacher education. Urban Advantage is a partnership program in science education that involves eight New York City science-rich cultural institutions and currently serves almost 300 middle schools and over 900 science teachers. Note that current employees of the NYC DOE, or persons who have been employed by the NYC DOE in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this position.
The Urban Advantage Coordinator of Professional Learning will demonstrate: ● A passion for supporting equitable science instruction.● A learner’s mindset—excitement to learn and continuously expand your knowledge.● The ability to work in an often ambiguous and frequently changing environment.● The ability to develop strong relationships and communicate effectively while under pressure—balancing confidence, humility, and diplomacy internally and externally.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Designing and facilitating UA PL individually, and in collaboration with others, to support UA teachers in enacting high-leverage, three-dimensional, and equitable teaching practices with learners.
● Supporting the implementation of coherent family engagement programs in UA schools by co-designing thoughtful Parent Coordinator (PC) workshops, attending school-based family science events, and promoting goal-oriented school community field trips.
● Strategically collaborating with a team of UA Lead Teachers in a way that supports program goals and their professional growth as facilitators of PL.
● Providing support to UA administrators through co-design and co-facilitation of administrator PL, and helping them to construct program implementation plans.
● Supporting a variety of team and individual UA programmatic and administrative tasks.
● Collaborating with other UA and Gottesman Center staff to design and implement innovative professional learning programs that are responsive to evolving teacher needs.
● Completing other duties as assigned by the Director of the Gottesman Center and the Urban Advantage program leadership.
Schedule includes some weekends, evenings and online work.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Education or related field.● Experience teaching science.● Experience developing and implementing teacher professional learning programs or teaching adults.● Ability to effectively collaborate on multiple projects with colleagues across the partnership.● Exceptional organizational, time-management skills, problem solving and communication skills.● Ability to work independently and in a proactive manner.● Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and Google Suite. ● The ability to work with confidential data and demonstrate discretion in all interactions is required.
● Knowledge of NYC middle schools, particularly in the area of science teacher professional learning and classroom science instruction.
● Master’s Degree in Science, Education or related field.● Knowledge of culturally responsive teaching.● Knowledge of informal science institutions.● Knowledge of city, state, and national learning and performance standards in science.● Familiarity with Moodle or similar online learning platforms and online teaching tools such as NearPod, Canvas, Kahoot!, etc.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/2525847
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent scientific and cultural institutions. Since its founding in 1869, the Museum has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education and exhibition. The Museum is renowned for its exhibitions and scientific collections, which serve as a field guide to the entire planet and present a panorama of the world’s cultures.
The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Museum does not discriminate with respect to employment, or admission or access to Museum facilities, programs or activities on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, current or former participation in the uniformed services, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin, or on account of any other basis prohibited by applicable City, State, or Federal law.
If special accommodations are needed in applying for a position, please call the Office of Human Resources.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.