John Henry High School’s mission is to provide a rigorous college preparatory education and character development program that will prepare students from underserved communities to succeed in college and beyond. Our students come primarily from Richmond, 91% of our students considered socio-economically disadvantaged, and almost all of whom will be first-generation college students. We are an intentionally small school, with a student population of just over 300. Being small in size affords us the opportunity to work in close partnership with all students and their families.
The paraprofessional position will provide academic assistance services to students who need remedial assistance, including tutoring students in specific academic areas related to their core curriculum and/or assist students with their homework assignments during the afterschool program. Paraprofessionals engage in academic activities with selected students either one-on-one or with small groups. Many of the children that Paraprofessionals work with are performing below their expected academic grade level or are English Learners. Paraprofessionals will also be asked to support with campus supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with students in 1-on-1 and/or small groups on assignments
- Assist with integrating core-curriculum concepts into tutoring component
- Manage groups of students to make efficient use of time
- Consult with Site Director on academic assistance strategies
- Communicate regularly with school-day teachers
- Ensure student safety
- Keep accurate records and collect data on students according to grant requirements
- Attend in-service trainings as well as other appropriate trainings as designated
- Supervise common areas, as assigned
- Provide occasional sub coverage for classroom teachers, as assigned
Required knowledge and skills
• Work experience with students in a school setting
• Must possess organization, communication and problem solving skills.
• Must pass a DOJ background check.
• Must be willing to create and follow through with individualized professional development plan.
• Ability to demonstrate skills in development of academic activities.
• Strong organizational skills.
• High level of communication skills, both written and oral.
• Strong initiative and ability to solve problems.
• BA Degree
• Experience working and challenging students academically
• Willing to take the CBEST and applying for substitute credential
• Bilingual English/Spanish highly desired