TITLE: Marketing & Communications Intern
REPORTS TO: Marketing and Outreach Specialist – Megan Smith and Jaimi Haig
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Best Friends Animal Society is a national non-profit focused on ending the killing of cats and dogs in America’s shelters by 2025. Best Friends is leading the no-kill movement by running lifesaving community programs for dogs and cats, providing support and training for animal shelters and rescue groups, and mobilizing community members on behalf of pets in need across the country.
Best Friends in Los Angeles & Salt Lake City is looking for a qualified marketing & communications intern to help with adoptions, foster, volunteer and brand awareness campaigns in Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. We are also looking for a talented person to grow our social media presence on all platforms for both locations.
Interns should be prepared to join a fast-paced environment and finish the internship having gained broad experience in non-profit communications and learned about the major issues in animal welfare.
- Identify influencers on TikTok and Instagram that would be good Best Friends brand ambassadors.
- Under supervision of the local marketing team, assist in getting people to “take action” such as adopting, fostering, volunteering or donating, and increase brand recognition to help drive Best Friends closer towards our goal to make the country no-kill by 2025.
- Develop content and assist with community management for Best Friends LA social channels including TikTok, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Support community outreach and grassroots marketing efforts in Los Angeles.
- Collaborate with local communications and marketing staff, as well as staff and volunteers at Best Friends Lifesaving Center in LA and Best Friends Lifesaving center in Salt Lake City
- Assist in other communications projects as needed.
- Assist in getting foster animals adopted by collecting and organizing foster content for social media.
- Organized and update current internal documents within the program city.
- Have strong technical skills, including experience with Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok from an admin level, experience with the O365 office suite, and the ability to learn new software programs and apps.
- Have the ability to proactively track and follow timelines, plans and communications documents.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to proactively communicate updates, questions and issues using the Best Friends voice.
Must be at least 18 years old. If you are a resident of California, New York, or Washington you must be currently enrolled in a college/university internship program to be considered for this position.
College credit toward related major, minor or general electives.
On or near the first day of the semester, negotiable. This only applies if you are enrolled in college.
On or near the last day of the semester, negotiable. The length of the internship will be three months.
HOURS PER WEEK:
To be determined, dependent upon total number of hours required to complete internship. Preferably 10-15 hours per week.
Please use this form to apply. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.