TITLE: Kitten Nursery Caregiver Intern
REPORTS TO: Kitten Nursery Lead
LOCATION: Best Friends Lifesaving Center – Kitten Nursery, 15321 Brand Blvd, Mission Hills, CA 91345
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Kitten Nursery Caregiver Intern is responsible for assisting with animal care and volunteer coordination at the Best Friends Kitten Nursery.
The nursery saves an average of 3,000 kittens a season. Interns should be prepared to join a fast-paced environment and finish the internship having gained broad experience in shelter animal care, medical care, and animal welfare. Part time and full-time interns may apply.
This internship is offered for academic credit. You must be a participant in an accredited academic internship program. This is an unpaid internship and housing is not provided. Start date is flexible.
• Under supervision, facilitates the daily feeding, cleaning, medical care, and enrichment of cats and kittens in the Kitten Nursery in accordance to Standard Operating Procedures. Reports any medical or behavioral concerns to Kitten Nursery staff
• Administers medications and provides treatment, including care for critical patients. This may include assisting in physical examinations, administering injections, oral medications, fluid therapy, syringe feeding, and tube feeding.
• Provides assistance to staff in working with the Foster Coordinator to ready kittens from the Kitten Nursery for placement in foster homes.
• Keeps animal records current, including intake paperwork, feeding charts and medical logs.
• Assists in managing inventory of all Kitten Nursery supplies, ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available at all times.
• Maintains an integral part in providing 24-hour care of kittens in the nursery. Intern must may be asked to intern some evenings, overnight hours, and early mornings so flexibility with scheduling is ideal.
• Expedites proper contamination and sanitation protocols in all areas of the Kitten Nursery as directed. • Assists staff in working with veterinarians to determine proper treatment of sick or injured kittens in the Kitten Nursery.
• Maintains daily communication with and oversight of volunteers dedicated to the Kitten Nursery. Assists staff with training new volunteers.
• Other duties as assigned.
• After a short training period, demonstrates ability to care for kittens and cats and follow contamination protocols.
• Demonstrates approachability when dealing with volunteers and staff.
• Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
• Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
• Accurate, appropriate, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be able to routinely lift up to 40 pounds.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
• Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
• Ability to effectively and safely handle cats and kittens and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: To be considered for this position you must be currently enrolled in a college/university internship program.
CREDIT: College credit toward related major, minor or general electives.
START DATE: On or near the first day of the semester, negotiable.
END DATE: On or near the last day of the semester, negotiable.
HOURS PER WEEK: To be determined, dependent upon total number of hours required to complete internship. Preferably 10-15 hours per week.
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or use link provided to submit online application.