Building Commissioning Intern
Location: NYC, New York/ Remote
Bright Power has been a transformative player in clean energy and sustainable buildings since 2004. We believe a meaningful difference in climate change will only be realized if it is easy for building owners to make their buildings better.
Our approach is simple: we find energy and water problems in buildings, we fix them, and we follow up to make sure the solutions worked. Behind the scenes, our unique combination of software, analytics, engineering, and contracting makes it all happen. If you have a can-do problem-solving attitude and are excited to join a company of the brightest minds working on energy and water in buildings, then apply to join our team!
Bright Power is comprised of a team of diverse, talented, and hard-working individuals committed to growing this industry and making a positive impact on the environment. We are passionate about reducing energy and water usage by implementing energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. Our goal is to improve the health, comfort, and value of our client’s buildings, while cultivating a sustainable future. We believe deeply in doing well by doing good and come to work every day seeking to change the world.
This position is responsible for providing support to Building Commissioning Agents throughout design, construction, and close out of projects. Candidate will be involved in administrative tasks, supervised field work, and investigative research of building mechanical systems.
- Administrative tasks including:
- Organizing and maintaining Cx team folders and resources
- Commissioning document generation for projects
- Field Work
- Assisting Cx Agents with site inspections and functional testing of equipment
- Photo documentation
- Assist with site report generation
- Research & Process Development
- Assist with document development
- Assist with process optimization
- Research and analysis related to building commissioning industry
- Education: Degree, or pursuing degree, in Architecture, Engineering, Construction, or other relevant academic programs.
- Experience with mechanical equipment and systems.
- HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Carpentry, or any trade experience.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong work ethic and able to work independently.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Willing to travel to sites throughout the NYC metro area.
- Able to be on sites as early as 7am if required.
- Comfortable being on construction sites.
- Skill at taking photos and detailed notes.
- Interest in learning about buildings, construction, and how it relates to energy and environmental issues.
- OSHA 10 Certification preferred.
What you get out of working at Bright Power
- Opportunity to learn about energy management, working with utilities and utility data, and sustainable buildings
- Full-time position at $17 hourly salary
- Training in utility benchmarking and industry-standard software tools
- Networking with leaders across Bright Power’s business units, and connections to leaders in the building and energy industry
- 8 hours of paid time off per month
- Be part of a team that is hard-working and driven, but doesn’t take itself too seriously
COVID Vaccination Policy
As of September 1st, Bright Power will require employees to demonstrate proof of vaccination to work in our offices and/or perform on-site visits. In accordance with state and federal laws, Bright Power will allow for medical and religious exemptions from the vaccine requirement.
Job sites have inherent hazards, based on the activities performed at the site. Protective equipment (such as: work-boots, safety glasses, hardhats, hearing protection, masks, etc.) may be required to be worn at times while on a job site, due to construction and safety hazards that may be present.
The noise level may warrant hearing protection. Visits to Job Sites may result in exposures to various hazards (such as: to extreme heat (100+F in boiler rooms), carbon monoxide, asbestos, lead paint, moldy dusty attics/crawlspaces, fiberglass insulation, hot pipes and/or hot metal, or high noise levels, etc.). Employees must be capable of using protective equipment and following specific safety procedures, as needed.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities may be required by this job, which include close vision and ability to adjust focus based on the task and surrounding activity. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The ability for the use of tools (such as powered hand tools and other types of tools, including but not limited to combustion appliances, machinery and motors that have moving parts, belts, pulleys, elevators, motors, pumps and/or fans) may be required. Equipment for working at height (such as ladders, mechanical lifts, etc.) may be required to be used.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Bright Power provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bright Power complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Bright Power expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Bright Power’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.