Energy & Building Systems Database Intern
Location: Hybrid / Remote: Encourage ~20-40% time in Oakland office
Bright Power has been a transformative player in clean energy and sustainable buildings since 2004. We believe a meaningful difference in climate change will only be realized if it is easy for building owners to make their buildings better.
Our approach is simple: we find energy and water problems in buildings, we fix them, and we follow up to make sure the solutions worked. Behind the scenes, our unique combination of software, analytics, engineering, and contracting makes it all happen. If you have a can-do problem-solving attitude and are excited to join a company of the brightest minds working on energy and water in buildings, then apply to join our team!
Bright Power is comprised of a team of diverse, talented, and hard-working individuals committed to growing this industry and making a positive impact on the environment. We are passionate about reducing energy and water usage by implementing energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. Our goal is to improve the health, comfort, and value of our client’s buildings, while cultivating a sustainable future. We believe deeply in doing well by doing good and come to work every day seeking to change the world.
Reporting to the Lead Energy Analyst and working collaboratively with energy engineers, account managers, and administrative staff, the Energy & Building Systems Database Intern will extract information about Bright Power’s projects and store them in a format ready to be loaded into a database. Data sources include Bright Power’s EnergyScoreCards software, Project specific Excel Spreadsheets, Utility Bill Data, UtilityAPI, Procore Construction Management software, Google Spreadsheets, Salesforce, and more. The destination for the information is a database organized around BuildingSync or another similar building systems and energy data schema. The goal is to take property, building system, retrofit project, and energy use data siloed between various sources organize them it into a uniform and searchable format. This will provide vital business intelligence and feedback to our team – it will unlock the power of our data to allow us to scale our impact by showing us trends and areas where we need to improve. The core of the job is extracting data and being rigorous about transferring and organizing it, and the job is intended to be executed entirely from an office environment (home office and/or Bright Power office) – no site visits required. The spreadsheets and data sources may in some cases be entirely uniform and in other cases require judgement calls and conversations with teammates to find the right portions of a spreadsheet to extract.
We prefer candidates willing to spend a minimum of 20-40% of their working time in the Oakland office. This will likely take the form of a regular cadence of office work (perhaps one or two out of every 5 days worked) plus a one-week intensive “team week” where a full week is worked from the office. We are flexible on the exact arrangement, depending on the schedule and availability and comfort of the candidate. We are open to part-time and full-time candidates; part-time roles would ideally be able to dedicate a minimum of 15 hrs/wk preferably 20 hrs/week. Target internship duration is 4-6 months.
Growth Potential: Bright Power’s California office is growing rapidly and intends to triple over the next 5 years. Our EVP is a former intern. The intern gets an excellent opportunity to look under the hood of a company on the forefront of eliminating the negative impacts of buildings on the environment and a chance to interact with the many professionals it takes to get the job done. Interns have a leg up in receiving offers for full-time employment. Depending on the abilities and interests of the intern, this role could grow into a full time position in energy analysis, database management, and/or energy engineering.
- Extract Building System, Property and Utility Data from Spreadsheets and cloud based tools like Salesforce and Procore
- Store data in a uniform format consistent with BuildingSync or related schema such that it is ready to be loaded into a database (likely this means moving information into a CSV file)
- Communicate with Lead Energy Analyst, but also Energy Engineers, Project Managers, Administrative staff and as questions and issues arise
- Proactively review and quality control data for completeness and accuracy
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Proficient with Excel
- Experience handling large amounts of data
- Self-starter comfortable asking for help from their team
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Finds joy in getting repetitive work done right
- Experience with Databases
- Experience with Python and/or SQL
- Experience with Salesforce and/or Procore and/or related cloud based systems
- Familiarity with building systems and utility data
- Experience in real estate or building operations
What you get out of working at Bright Power
- Opportunity to learn about energy management, working with utilities and utility data, and sustainable buildings
- Full-time or part-time position at $17 hourly salary
- Training in utility benchmarking and industry-standard software tools
- Networking with leaders across Bright Power’s business units, and connections to leaders in the building and energy industry
- 8 hours of paid time off per month
- Be part of a team that is hard-working and driven, but doesn’t take itself too seriously
COVID Vaccination Policy
As of September 1st, Bright Power will require employees to demonstrate proof of vaccination to work in our offices and/or perform on-site visits. In accordance with state and federal laws, Bright Power will allow for medical and religious exemptions from the vaccine requirement.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Bright Power provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bright Power complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Bright Power expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Bright Power’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.