In House Title & Department:
P2100051 – Senior Staff Assistant – CIO Administrative Operations Office
Posting Number: P2100051
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. To apply, please visit:
The Policy and IT Relationship Manager will report directly to the Assistant Chief Information Officer and Director of Strategic Portfolio Management, and will be deeply involved in IT project planning and prioritization efforts as well as in VPCIO policy development. The successful candidate will work closely with the VPCIO departments to write and formalize new and update existing IT policies. The successful candidate will also work to build and strengthen cross-university stakeholder relationships while coordinating university IT project planning and prioritization efforts.
Under the leadership of the Assistant CIO, the IT Relationship and Policy Manager will work closely with campus partners and stakeholders with the goal of optimally focusing the university’s finite technology resources in order to achieve UB strategic goals. This role supports the IT governance process, the IT Portfolio Advisory Committee, and the IT portfolio intake, scoping, tracking and reporting processes. This position is also responsible for engaging subject matter experts, department management, project managers and compliance staff to develop standardized policies and to ensure the VPCIO area maintains records in accordance with Federal, State, State University of New York (SUNY), Middle States, and University at Buffalo (UB) laws, rules, and regulations.
• Work as a liaison to bridge and facilitate communication between the VPCIO staff and University Leadership’s sponsor representatives to ensure there is a common understanding of strategic IT project statuses and prioritizations
• Operationalize the portfolio management processes to ensure alignment of IT projects to University strategic goals as well as to ensure project prioritization is evaluated in a fair and equitable way for all incoming requests, and to expedite project timelines when possible
• Build and strengthen campus partner relationships with an emphasis on providing exceptional IT service and support to maximize the effects of efforts
• Guide the leadership teams, project teams and the organization in developing process maturity and organizational integrity with respect to IT Governance, and IT Portfolio and Project Management
• Ensure that IT project data are collected, stored, and reported on in a clean, consistent, accurate manner including, but not limited to, providing live training, developing training documentation and supporting the effective use of the IT Portfolio Management application; develop and generate reports to clearly communicate portfolio-related details for different constituents and audiences
• Facilitates meetings with topics related to project scoping, project planning, prioritization and IT resource optimization
• Professionally author high-quality policy documents that are clear, concise and accurate
• Analyze, research, and develop policy, strategic reports and other documents
• Revise and update policies regularly to ensure the most up to date policies are readily available
• Communicate effectively with all VPCIO management staff, subject matter experts, and University employees to ensure accuracy of policy and completeness of the UB policy approval process
• Maintain policies in a centralized database and work with UB staff to ensure that policies are easily accessible via the UB Policy Library
• Track all changes and revisions to all documents
• Promote proper Records Management throughout the VPCIO division
All the duties & responsibilities listed above continue to occur in a 24×7 environment, therefore, working extended hours, holidays, or varied hours may be required.
The mission of UB Information Technology’s is “to advance UB’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and service through the innovative and effective use of Information Technology.” UBIT includes nearly 400 talented and collaborative professionals. UBIT supports the university’s goals for impactful research, educational experiences, engagement and economic development, and a 21st-century campus environment. To that end, UBIT partners with the campus community and leads the evaluation, implementation, and operation of all IT services.
It is a great time to join UBIT. Over the last four years, VPCIO and UBIT have focused on modernizing the core IT infrastructure. These strategic enhancements have resulted in a world-class technology environment. In addition, UBIT staff are highly skilled and motivated to succeed and have cutting-edge training and technical resources at their disposal. In addition to professional growth opportunities, UBIT staff have access to a comprehensive list of benefits and services designed to help them meet their personal and family needs including health care, paid time off, and on premise childcare. Recognizing that a diverse, equitable and inclusive community is an essential foundation for achieving excellence and success, UBIT is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and respect.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Proven experience with writing policies and procedures
• Expertise with successful business, program or project management and execution of large or cross-functional projects and programs
• Experience working on collaborative teams
• Exceptionally effective oral and written communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
• Knowledge of grammatical structure and content; including rules of composition, and grammar
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated skills in critical thinking, attention to detail, and problem-solving
• Highly proficient in time management, planning and prioritization; ability to manage changing priorities
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic, with strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
• Ability to work in a 24×7 environment, therefore, working extended hours, holidays, or varied hours may be required
• Experience with data visualization
• Experience with information technology terminology
• Experience as a technical writer
• Experience in a higher education institution, preferably in a multifaceted university environment
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and in keeping with our commitment, encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans to apply.