Under general direction, the Housing and Community Development Representative II, is responsible for providing technical assistance, policy, analysis, and research on issues that impact housing, such as homelessness, land use and planning, public health, disaster preparedness and recovery, climate change, transportation, and housing for special needs populations based upon personal assignment. Incumbents work in a team environment and may provide guidance and direction as lead or mentor to other staff members.
- Knowledge of housing, land use, planning, policy and data analysis, and/or program development and administration
- Experience with stakeholder and/or public outreach
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, and inter-personal)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of the challenges related to housing affordability, policy implementation, community development and planning, fair housing, homelessness, real estate development and operations, and/or disaster response and recovery
- Skill with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Familiar with the areas of California State government or other policy making practices including the legislative process.
- Education or experience in planning, public policy, public administration, or other housing & community development topics, or coursework in policy analysis, statistics, urban planning, real estate, or land use.
- Independently, and as a team member, perform a wide range of duties conducting research, data collection, analysis, reports, papers, briefs, summaries, and legislative analysis regarding subjects such as housing, climate change, homelessness, land use, housing elements, and community development policies and programs. Monitor performance measures evaluate outcomes and prepare required reports, papers, briefs, presentations, summaries, and documents. Prepare plans, policy briefs and legislative analyses. Produce professional, well written policy related documents with attention to thoroughness and completeness of work, style, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Coordinate and provide technical assistance to public and private sector organizations on governmental housing and community development policies, planning and financing programs and requirements. Conduct outreach programs and workshops and providing expertise to stakeholders. Activities may include assisting, reviewing and commenting on stakeholder general, housing, grant or incentive plans as well as other relevant projects. Participate in intra- and inter-departmental project teams as needed.
- Prepare materials related to sensitive policy development. Collect information regarding strategies and efforts pursued by other government organizations. Coordinate with housing-related interest groups and other external partners to provide subject matter expertise as required.
- Work in a team environment on continuous improvement projects, such as strategic planning initiatives, priority work areas, and policy development review committees, keeping within prescribed parameters. Act as Analyst of the Week when scheduled. Act as team lead for more complex projects related to Division policy initiatives.
- Support physical and electronic file maintenance, quality control, and data management. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.