Camp Lake James is seeking a professional and personable individual to join our awesome team as the Chef/Food and Beverage Manager. A positive attitude, a desire to learn, and enthusiasm to provide exceptional service to our members and their guests are the top criteria for a Camp Lake James team member. The Chef/Food and Beverage Manager will oversee the County Line Canteen and seasonal lakeside bar/restaurant.
Founded in 2008, Camp Lake James is a unique, private recreational club located 45-minutes from Asheville, NC with 325 members. Our lakefront facility sits on a beautiful 36 acres and has a clubhouse, The County Line Canteen, multiple pools, seasonal lakeside bar/restaurant, hiking trails, rental cabins, tennis courts, amphitheater, docks, canoes, kayaks, and a private beach. It is a stunning view year-round. The Camp offers year-round recreational and social activities and programs to Camp members and their guests.
Provide polite, courteous, and outstanding professional service to our members and guests.
Essential Job Functions
· Use creativity in developing culinary menus for The County Line and lakeside bar menus, weekly featured selections, and special event menus.
· Responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, preparation, and maintenance of high-quality products and upholding sanitation and cleanliness standards.
· Concoct unique ways to pair our craft beer platform with our menu design.
· Write and develop policies and procedures as needed for smooth day-to-day operations including, but not limited to daily checklists and logs, quality control standards, inventory tracking and food cost and usage.
· Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the recipes, portioning, cooking, and service standards.
· Take an active role and responsibility for both new hires and ongoing training of staff, including training in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion, cost control, safe operation of all kitchen equipment, safety training, sanitation and cleanliness procedures, and teaching department rules, policies, and procedures.
· Plan and price all menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards and pictures for all new menu items.
· Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
· Manage the performance appraisal review process for your team.
· Ensure all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition.
· Maintain a professional relationship with staff and members.
· Attends regular management meetings and reports updates regarding food and beverage.
· Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen, and service team members.
· Be able to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
· Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time.
· A minimum of three years of experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fry cook, and/or expediter or a Culinary degree.
· Knowledge of craft beer and wines.
· Possession of a valid driver’s license.
· A comprehensive insurance plan with medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance.
· Competitive pay.