WHO WE ARE
Challenge Detroit is a year-long multidisciplinary, Fellowship program that cultivates diverse, innovative, emerging and existing, community-minded leaders from the City of Detroit and across the country, fostering their talents to intellectually support local nonprofits making an impact within Detroit. Each year, we recruit around 30 individuals to positively contribute to our diverse, culturally vibrant city.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are a cornerstone of Challenge Detroit. We strive to create and support a culture where people can be themselves and feel included while including others. We value a diverse representation of individuals from near and far, across races and ethnicities, gender experience and orientation, skills, experience and abilities. Diversity of thought and perspective are essential to our work.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- are LOOKING FOR A JOB and will have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by the time the program begins in Sept 2021.
- ALREADY HAVE A JOB IN THE COMMUNITY SPACE and will have a high school diploma/GED, relevant work experience by Sept 2021 and approval to participate from their employer in the Metro Detroit area.
- ALREADY HAVE A JOB, have at least a Bachelor’s degree and approval to participate from their employer in the Metro Detroit area.
- are from the City of Detroit, from surrounding areas, the state of Michigan and beyond.
- are passionate, dedicated, proactive, hard-working, innovative, adaptable and have a growth mindset.
- speak and write in English fluently—all programs are conducted in English (candidates with proficiency in more than one language are welcome!).
- are authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the program (Sept 2021 to Aug 2022).
We welcome and encourage a wide variety of educational and professional backgrounds. Candidates with backgrounds in finance, business, community development, policy, urban planning, civil engineering, design, PR, communications, tech/IT, marketing and nonprofit management are highly encouraged to apply.
HOW IT WORKS
Fellows gain valuable career skills through employment at a top area company—large corporations like DTE, small businesses, nonprofits and everything in between.
Fellows work together with local nonprofits on strategic challenges designed to positively contribute to our community and participate in leadership development programming.
WHAT YOU’LL EXPERIENCE
As a Challenge Detroit Fellow, you will:
- gain valuable leadership, project management and team-building skills through a multi-faceted leadership development program;
- learn and leverage the art of design thinking;
- collaborate with multiple Detroit-based nonprofits to support them in moving their missions forward through various strategic, community-focused projects;
- connect with and form meaningful relationships with the broader Challenge Detroit community as well as your cohort;
- gain access to cultural and professional events;
- receive a $38,000 annual salary plus benefits typical of your host company; and
- become a part of the network of over 270 Fellows and alumni!
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED THROUGH APRIL 12, 2021 11:59PM (EST)