Children Now is a nonpartisan whole-child research, policy development and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health, education, and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a unique network of more than 4,100 parent, youth, business, labor, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org, including about Children Now’s core organizational values.
We are seeking a highly motivated, self-starting and detail-oriented Communications and Outreach Coordinator. This position will complete a diverse variety of communications, development, and administrative tasks to support the Communications and Development team. This position will report to the Senior Manager of Development and Communications and will be based in our Oakland office. This position will maintain communications systems, including the communications calendar and media database. The position will also develop and curate engaging content for the organization’s social media platforms. This position will route calls from the media to appropriate staff, monitor media for news stories relevant to the organization and its work, and provide support to pitch stories to members of the media. This position will also support the development of a variety of written and online materials including news releases and op eds. This position will also support the work of the development department, as needed.
Ideal applicants will be fast learners, able to handle a high volume of work quickly and efficiently, with excellent recall and superior attention to detail. Candidates should have strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills and excellent judgment. The candidate must be flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented and able to communicate effectively about priorities and competing requests. This position is ideal for someone who thinks critically, takes initiative, and enjoys learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment. The position offers an opportunity to learn about policy advocacy, strategic communications, and non-profit fundraising while helping to support our efforts to improve the well-being of all of California’s children and remove racial and other inequities that limit children’s opportunities to reach their full potential.
- Provide support to communications processes, including maintaining the communications content calendar and task queue;
- Provide support to staff in their communications with media, and other key contacts and constituencies, including routing reporter calls to appropriate staff and maintaining reporter contact information records and press lists;
- Monitor media, including Spanish language media, daily for stories relevant to the organization and its work, curating and sharing those stories with staff;
- Contribute to the drafting and Spanish translation of content for Children Now outreach, including news releases, op eds, website content, presentations, and other relevant communications;
- Develop and curate engaging content for the organization’s social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn;
- Monitor social media analytics, and research and implement best practices for social media outreach and engagement;
- Maintain and update the organization’s branding guidelines, style guide, and racial equity communications guide with guidance from the communications team;
- Assist in regularly updating content on Children Now’s website;
- Run logistics for and coordinate webinars for a range of organizational audiences;
- Support the execution of special events, including donor cultivation activities, board meetings, and policy events;
- Assist development team in department mailings, including maintaining and generating accurate lists, performing complex database document merges, and executing mailings;
- Support development team in processing grant agreements, payments, proposals, reports and other paper and electronic foundation and donor files, as needed;
- Serve as back up to the Special Assistant to the President, as needed; and
- Assist with other general administrative functions, including answering phones, reception and assisting with staff events.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- At least two years of relevant marketing, public relations, and/or communications experience in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated effective communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in and across teams;
- High-level efficiency, recall, and attention to detail;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Strong skills in editing and writing; experience writing for the media a plus;
- Superior judgment, with an ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion;
- Creativity, a positive attitude, and the ability to find innovative solutions to problems;
- Ability to be forward-looking and actively seek opportunities and propose solutions;
- Proficiency in prioritizing conflicting needs, handling matters expeditiously and proactively, and following through on projects to successful completion often with deadline pressures;
- Ability to learn quickly and a commitment to quality work;
- Highly skilled in all major technology platforms and systems, including expertise in Microsoft Outlook and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Zoom webinars, as well as social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn; familiarity with Salesforce, Meltwater News, a plus;
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred;
- A commitment to our mission to advance the well-being of children and to address racial, economic, gender and other inequities that limit children’s opportunities to reach their full potential; and
- Ability to work effectively with others in a vibrant, diverse, and multicultural environment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Please complete the online application form above. All applicants must attach the following as part of their online application: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) brief writing sample (no more than 3 pages; excerpts are fine), and 4) three to five references (including former supervisors). Please submit attachments in PDF or Microsoft Word format only.
We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity, equity and inclusion. Children Now values diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing our work and views diversity as including differences in race, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran status, job skills, education, and geographic location and any other category protected by law. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.