The City of Bend is actively recruiting for full-time and/or part-time, seasonal/temporary General Laborer positions. Make the most of our Central Oregon summer and fall weather by working outdoors for the City of Bend, learning all about municipal public works operations, and gain new skills in customer service, hydrant maintenance, water meters, water system repairs and maintenance, street maintenance, and right of way landscaping based on area of assignment.
This class performs a wide variety of manual semi-skilled duties involved in installing, servicing, operating, repairing and maintaining the City’s water, storm drain and or street systems and related infrastructure; and performs related work as assigned. May operate a variety of equipment as needed to accomplish tasks assigned. (Entry level position).
Temporary positions are limited-benefit eligible, ‘at will’ temporary, non-represented positions. Temporary employee benefit information can be found on the benefits tab under Temporary Medical Only Benefits.
An eligibility list will be created from this recruitment to be utilized for future seasonal positions within a variety of departments. The eligibility list will be valid for no more than three months.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have a complete application that includes all of the following items:
- The online application via NeoGov (access also available on City of Bend website under Human Resources/Job Openings)
- Attached formal Resume and/or Cover Letter (preferred)
- Applicants must provide certification that they are a veteran or disabled veteran to receive veteran’s preference. For more information click here.
Applications received by Monday, August 2nd (8/2/2021) @ 12:00 p.m. PDT will be reviewed for initial consideration; however, the position will remain open until filled.
The City of Bend is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. At the City of Bend, we don’t just accept differences; we value them. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and support the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA) and Oregon Equal Pay Act.
Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following duties and responsibilities, which are listed in no particular order of importance. (Duties vary depending on the division of employment)
- Helps install and repair water lines and other related facilities.
- Assists in grading, paving, and patching streets.
- Cuts and disposes of trees, bushes, and weeds; maintains lawns and landscaping.
- Reads and assists in repairing water meters.
- Assists with hydrant maintenance and repairs.
- Flags traffic and spots equipment for construction, maintenance, and repair projects.
- Learns to operate trucks, compressors, jackhammers, power tools, and other light equipment which are incidental to general duties.
- Performs parking lot and sidewalk cleaning and maintenance.
- Performs street sweeper clean-up duties.
- Picks up trash and litter.
- Performs other duties as required by the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
Ability to learn the tools, equipment, safety requirements, methods, and materials used in general maintenance and repair work.
Some general mechanical aptitude and ability to perform manual tasks without constant supervision.
The ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English adequately to perform the duties of the position.
The ability to learn operation of light automotive equipment and power driven hand tools as required.
A high school education, GED, or equivalent level of training and experience.
A valid drivers license.