CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
City of Fridley, Minnesota
Customer Services Representative
$17.35 to $22.15/hour, DOQ
Position Reports And Is Accountable To:
Assistant Finance Director
In 2014, the Fridley City Council adopted the following organizational mission: “We believe in a Fridley that is a safe, vibrant, friendly and stable home for families and businesses.” In addition, City staff committed to the vision by focusing on the core values of being responsive, driven and friendly.
Provides high quality customer service to the public through in-person, phone and e-mail contact. This position will support the Community Services department through providing clerical tasks, phone operation, cash receipting, facility and program registration, and event assistance, as well as serve as primary backup for front desk staff.
Scope of Responsibility:
Responsible for own work. The Customer Service Representative reports directly to the Director of Community Services and completes various duties and tasks. This position is responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of own work. Regular contact is made with the department and other departments, outside agencies and public (supplying or seeking information) on specialized matters.
Moderate supervision is given within standard operating procedures; supervisor is generally nearby to answer questions. Fairly standard procedures and tasks where basic analytical ability is required. Detailed guidelines and procedures are generally used to make decisions or determine actions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional front counter customer service to Civic Campus visitors, patrons and those who call into the Community Services department.
- Greet walk-in customers, clients, vendors, or deliveries and direct to appropriate area or assist with information.
- Serve as primary backup to front desk by occasionally answering a multi-line switchboard and provide general information to callers or route incoming telephone calls to the appropriate individuals or groups
- Receive cash, issue receipts, make proper change, and post cash receipts to the accounting and recreation registration systems.
- Assist with various functions of the receipting and accounts payable process, as needed.
- Monitor registrations, daily functions and assess, trouble-shoot and coordinate with provider for software problems.
- Assist with writing, coordinating, editing, and publishing general promotional and social media postings and materials.
- Prepares program and league schedules, manuals, flyers, forms and other information pertinent to the operations of the division.
- Assist with other administrative duties, such as data entry, filing, mailings, organization, and record keeping, as well as maintaining organized digital storage of recreation documents and program information.
- Scan documents into the City’s document imaging system and assign to appropriate folders.
- Process incoming mail, accept deliveries, and notify recipients of incoming packages.
- Maintain an organized system of records, workspace as well public reception area.
- Stay informed of general City information to properly provide accurate and relevant information to customers as needed.
- Report concerns, complaints, issues or problems to the appropriate personnel.
- Assists the Community Services Department with event planning and preparation, including room setups/teardowns, assisting with visitor needs and facility reservations.
- Assists in ordering and maintaining program, office and event inventories for Community Services department.
- Assist other City departments and serve on various committees and special projects as needed.
- Work independently, using good judgment, decision-making, multi-tasking, and time management skills to identify, report and solve problems related to customer service, cash receipting and facility use.
- Utilize good communication skills to work effectively with the public and fellow employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The job requires a High School diploma or general education degree and two to three years’ solid customer service experience as a receptionist or guest relations with high call volume and multiple phone lines along with walk-in customer service duties.
- Post-secondary coursework in accounting, bookkeeping or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in governmental accounting environment and/or experience relating to the handling and receipting of cash.
- Previous experience in parks and recreation administration or office work.
- Seven months to one year of cashier experience, receiving cash, making change, printing receipts, data entry, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong customer service and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of Microsoft Office software applications.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memorandums.
- Ability to accurately add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures; working knowledge of bookkeeping or accounting principles and practices.
- Skill in operating listed tools and equipment.
- Periodically accesses sensitive information required to perform job tasks, requiring the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations accurately and quickly.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish successful working relationships internally as well as externally.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work well with public and effectively deal with angry, irate or disgruntled customers.
- Ability to act as a cashier and accurately balance a cash drawer.
- Good verbal communication and customer service skills required
- Ability to handle basic assignments and problems under close supervision.
- Ability to handle standard procedures and tasks where basic analytical ability is required.
- Ability to maintain regular contact with department and periodic contacts with other departments, other agencies and public to relay basic information or facts.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
This position frequently works alone in a normal office environment with normal use of office equipment. Physical activity is light including continuous sitting; frequent standing and occasional walking and lifting up to 25 pounds. Intermittent bending or stooping and kneeling or squatting is typical for this position. Extensive keyboarding may put incumbent at risk for repetitive motion injury or eyestrain. This position handles a variety of typical assignments and problems independently with occasional mental effort and stress. There may be exposure to hostile or aggressive behavior by members of the public. There may be occasional work involving high detail with moderate deadlines.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required. To perform this job successfully, the worker must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
The City of Fridley will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, or sexual orientation.
Core Competencies and Abilities:
Quality of Work
- Maintains a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates the ability to use resources productively, effectively, and efficiently.
- Demonstrates the ability to think proactively, anticipates potential problems, and provides workable solutions and alternatives with a ‘can do’ approach.
- Develops and maintains good working knowledge of job responsibilities and prescribed procedures, which facilitates the efficient performance of duties.
- Takes initiative to utilize job knowledge to analyze situations, resolve problems, and reach decisions.
- Quantity of Work
- Exhibits good organizational and time management skills: plans and schedules completion of work accountabilities in order of priority, making the most effective use of time.
- Self-motivated and works independently: demonstrates willingness to assume new and challenging assignments.
- Demonstrates ability to work well under pressure, utilizing resources effectively.
- Professional Conduct/Integrity
- Demonstrates knowledge and actions consistent with the City’s values and code of ethics and conduct.
- Demonstrates high moral principles and professional standards with others through truthfulness and sincerity; makes ethical decisions.
- Shows respect for others’ ideas, perspectives, and styles.
- Demonstrates appropriate business etiquette and social skills.
- Customer Service
- Provides information, options, and/or solutions to inquiries, concerns, and/or requests from the diverse public in a respectful manner.
- Maintains the City’s reputation of providing a high-level of customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain working relationships to produce results, and a work environment that builds rapport and trust.
- Communicates professionally and effectively with internal and external customers through spoken and written correspondence, including emails.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Listens well; respects viewpoints different than own.
- Contributes knowledge, experience, and feedback appropriately to others.
- Maintains a safe work environment by complying with City safety policies and procedures and attends necessary trainings.
- Performs duties with consideration to minimize risk. Reports safety concerns to appropriate parties.
- Accountability and Dependability
- Adheres to all City policies and procedures.
- Competently performs all required job duties.
- Maintains an acceptable record of work attendance, and punctuality in accordance with City and Department requirements.
The statements within this Job Description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employee but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. This Job Description is not an employment agreement or contract and is subject to change at the discretion of the City of Fridley.
q Employee accepts job responsibilities as outlined in this Job Description.
Employee Signature Print Name Date
q Supervisor/Department Manager has reviewed with the employee the job responsibilities as described in this document and has discussed expected standards of performance.
Supervisor/Manager Signature Print Name Date