SEASONAL/TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE WORKER
(Parks, Streets, Sewer and Water Divisions)
Seasonal/Temporary Public Works Maintenance
Public Works/Maintenance Divisions
$14.75 to $17.00 per hour DOQ and position
Position Reports And Is Accountable To:
Division Maintenance Supervisors
In 2014, the Fridley City Council adopted the following organizational mission: “We believe Fridley will be a safe, vibrant, friendly and stable home for families and businesses.” In addition, City staff committed to the vision by focusing on the core values of being responsive, driven and friendly.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Perform manual labor and variety of maintenance tasks for the parks, streets, sewer or water divisions within the Public Works Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Perform manual labor and some heavy lifting under all weather conditions.
2. Assist full-time employees in various maintenance and repair tasks, including, but not limited to: mowing, clipping, trimming, cleaning equipment, materials and buildings, painting, operating equipment, observing monitors, shoveling, weeding, digging, filling potholes, driving, cement work, traffic control, sewer cleaning, etc.
3. Safely operate various motorized and non-motorized equipment and tools.
4. Drive or transport assigned vehicles and/or equipment to various job sites, as needed.
5. Read and follow verbal instructions and written procedures, such as operating manuals, department procedures, computerized monitors, and safety guidelines for mechanical equipment and tools.
6. Work effectively and cooperatively with the general public, staff members and outside agencies.
7. Arrive to work on-time and meet attendance requirements.
8. Wear required uniforms and personal protective equipment as assigned and directed.
9. Refers residents and customers with questions and complaints to supervisors or appropriate personnel.
10. Report maintenance problems, safety hazards and customer complaints to supervisors.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
2. Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving history and no restrictions.
3. Final candidates must satisfactorily complete a thorough criminal background and reference check process.
1. Previous Public Works Maintenance experience for a local, state or county government.
2. Working knowledge of safety requirements for assigned tasks.
3. Post high school education or formal training in skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of public works maintenance functions and repairs.
2. Knowledge of a using a variety of tools, equipment and materials used.
3. Knowledge of general safety procedures, OSHA, etc.
4. Ability to read written instructions such as operating manuals and instructions for mechanical equipment.
5. Ability to verbally communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and the general public to relay information, report concerns, and to provide directions.
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and deal tactfully with internal and external customers, co-workers, and partnering agencies, etc.
7. Ability to perform basic mathematical computations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, etc.
Typical work schedule is 7:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. (6:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. May through September), Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend or evening work may be required. Possible four-day, (ten hours per day) work week schedule.
The City of Fridley will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, participation in local commission, or status with regard to public assistance.