Clara Foods™ is a venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins using fermentation — without the animal. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.
Clara Foods is currently seeking a talented and innovative Intern to join our R&D Manufacturing department located at our South San Francisco, CA. As an Intern, you will have the opportunity to participate in activities directly related to different aspects of bioprocess development and industrialization and have exposure to different technology platforms. You will have the unique opportunity to work on commercializing transformative ingredients and change the existing food system. As a member of a larger team dedicated to develop a bioprocess for production of animal proteins by fermentation, you will be assigned a project to improve the overall end to end productivity of our lab scale process by doing the following roles and responsibilities.
We are building an amazing team of brilliant, collaborative and mission-driven individuals who take pride in using their diverse skills to contribute to a better world. Our core values include tenacity, curiosity, trust, teamwork, inclusivity and balance and we strive to bring these values to life every day.
Join our team, own your destiny, and lead the world’s transition to animal-free protein.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the scale up team in setting up and executing internal pilot scale fermentations every week.
- Prepare media and reagents required for execution of upstream fermentations.
- Be a key stakeholder in executing complementary scale down experiments to support the manufacturing team.
- Learn, support, and execute downstream processing using various methods not limited to centrifugation, filtration (UF/DF), chromatography, flocculation, precipitation, etc.
- Structure back end data processing and convert existing SQL data into visual results and derive conclusions.
- Perform assays and support the bioprocess analytical team for quick turnaround of samples generated by the team (when needed)
Preferred Skills and Requirements
- Pursuing or graduated with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemical engineering, biotechnology, microbiology, bioengineering, or any related field.
- Ability to work in the lab full time and lift 50lbs of weight when necessary.
- Must have prior experience in the lab and have good aseptic technique to work in the biosafety cabinet.
- Basic knowledge of SQL, R, Tableau to support data processing and analysis.
- Must be a good communicator and be comfortable with handling simultaneous asks.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
What Clara can offer:
- Weekly catered lunches
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga, and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee, and tea
- Themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and opportunity to directly speak with CEO and leadership team
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Caltrain stations, including free shuttle service
Clara Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.