Food Scientist II
If you are…
- ready to move past a traditional 9-5 and work towards moving the needle on the Earth’s most existential threats of deforestation, mass extinctions, climate change, and food shortages
- insanely hungry and entrepreneurial with no ego and a relentless work ethic
- ready to change the course of history, push the frontier of science and do it alongside the most passionate, intelligent, and humble people you’ve ever met, then look no further.
This job isn’t for the faint of heart. Join our team, own your destiny, and lead the world’s transition to animal-free protein
We are looking for a passionate and experienced food scientist to join our New Product Development team. Candidates who understand food chemistry, ingredient functionalities (preferably proteins), processing principals and evaluation tools (texture, sensory, etc.) and who are not hesitant to make, tweak and demo various food concepts/products are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to: Director of New Product Development
Location: South San Francisco, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Training and Skills
- BS in Food Science or relevant experience with 5+ years; MS with 3+ years, or PhD with 0-1 years of active food product development experience.
- Advanced knowledge of food chemistry, protein chemistry, ingredient functionality and interactions, food processing techniques; food microbiology, food safety fundamentals; food packaging; US Foods laws and regulations is required.
- Detailed knowledge of fundamentals and practices of sensory and consumer science is highly desirable.
- Proven track record of launching consumer food products and familiarity with stage gate process would be highly desirable.
Role and Responsibilities
As a key member of the Product Team, you will be tasked with
- Conducting functionality tests on food ingredients in model systems.
- Formulating food product concepts to demonstrate functional attributes.
- Designing and conducting sensory studies and analyzing results.
- Developing formulation and process specifications.
- Collaborating with suppliers and vendors to effectively source materials and services.
- Collaborating with research institutions to conduct analytical as well as nutritional testing as needed.
- Ensure compliance with food laws and regulations.
- Other assigned tasks as needed
What Clara Foods can offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock options
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins using fermentation — without the animal. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.