Who We Are
Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is Southern California’s locally operated non-profit default electricity provider for 32 communities within Los Angeles and Ventura counties and the 5th largest electricity company in the State of California. We provide clean renewable energy at competitive rates to over three million residents and businesses through approximately one million customer accounts.
What You’ll Do
CPA is looking for enthusiastic and organized students, recent graduates, and young professionals seeking experience in the clean energy and sustainability. CPA is a load-serving entity that competes directly with its incumbent investor-owned utility as well as Direct Access providers. In order to compete more directly with alternative energy providers, CPA is evaluating customized products for select non-residential customers. Through this internship, you will develop a strategic recommendation related to CPA’s product offerings.
Who You’ll Work With
You will work closely with CPA’s Key Accounts, Power Procurement, and External Affairs teams. Interns will also interact with other members of CPA’s senior management team and potentially with business customers across CPA’s service territory.
Commitment to Diversity
At CPA, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We represent a diverse customer base and intend to hire employees that reflect our communities. Clean Power Alliance provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
CPA fosters a culture of open communication, responsibility, and intellectual curiosity. As a small team that has quickly built the largest Community Choice Aggregation program in the country, high levels of trust, collaboration, and mission alignment are key factors in success. We value fact-based creativity in our work, accountability with our stakeholders, and promote ethical engagement and diversity with our brand.
Successful Candidates Must Demonstrate the Following Abilities:
· Enjoy engaging with passionate internal and external stakeholders.
· Have a strong work ethic and be comfortable taking initiative/working in a fast paced, start-up environment.
· Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
· Strong communicator, who can write and speak compellingly and clearly.
· Organized and detail oriented.
· Ability to carry out projects with minimal instruction.
· Compose correspondence independently based on policy and guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Research and Analysis
- Conduct a market research effort to assess competitive product structures offered by other energy providers in California and other de-regulated energy markets.
- Create a cost-benefit analysis using CPA customer data, including demand and procurement costs, and competitive rate information to determine the viability of proposed product offerings.
Strategic Planning and Analysis
- Determine what additional tools and internal or external resources are necessary to pursue strategic product offerings.
- Develop a formal recommendation for senior management related to whether CPA should pursue customized products, including a Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis and key considerations for implementation.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Candidates should have completed or be in the process of completing a Master’s degree, with a desired focus in business, environmental, public policy, or other relevant area of study. Work or volunteer experience is a plus but not required.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent organizational, scheduling, time management skills and attention to detail.
· Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
· Ability to work with a team, as well as independently motivated.
· Strong professional presentation skills.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Excel and Adobe Pro software.
· Knowledge of CPA service territory desired.
Internship compensation ranges from $17 to $25 per hour, with exact compensation to be determined by Clean Power Alliance, dependent on skills and experience. This is a part-time, temporary position. Interns are only eligible for mandated benefits, such as sick pay, workers’ compensation and Medicare contributions.
How to Apply
Candidates should visit https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3567438 to apply. The start date for the position is as soon as possible, and will remain open until filled.