***This job is eligible for relocation assistance to aid with the costs associated with moving to the Colorado Springs area.
Colorado Springs Utilities cultivates a work culture dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and service to the community. Our employees know they make a difference every day by providing critical services to the public while living and working in a city consistently rated as one of the top in the United States. We utilize today’s talent to build a better tomorrow. Be part of history by implementing energy solutions for a cleaner, greener tomorrow.
We are actively seeking a creative and collaborative individual with a vision for the future to be a valuable contributor to our evolving suite of energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, renewable energy, electric vehicle, distributed energy, and other emerging technology programs. As a key member of the Demand Side Management and Distributed Energy Strategies (DSR) team, you will work directly with the DSR Principal engineer. You will work collaboratively within the DSR team, with the Water Demand Management team, and with stakeholder groups throughout the utility and municipal government to deliver products and solutions that meet both operational and customer needs across multiple utility services.
As the Project Engineer, you will:
- Design new residential and commercial energy conservation and distributed energy resource programs
- Research and develop emerging technologies, write business cases and create pilot projects to test out new customer products and services prior to mass deployment
- Perform technical studies and audits
- Cross-train with Principal and Senior Engineers and Conservation Specialists on energy efficiency, demand reduction, and distributed energy resource programs such as Demand Response, Battery Storage, Electric Vehicles and Microgrids
- Develop program operational plans, marketing plans, incentives, and budgets in collaboration with stakeholder groups throughout the utility
- Establish goals, objectives, priorities, and schedules for projects and programs
- Coordinate day-to-day operation of programs, including tracking, forecasting, and updating customer information records, and resolving customer issues
- Evaluate program effectiveness; recommend and implement enhancements
- Work collaboratively with Business Account Management, Customer Experience, Service Center, and Planning and Engineering, and other utility staff to continuously improve programs
- Represent assigned programs and interests as liaison to internal and external groups
- Participate in public events such as Efficiency Expo
- Train customer service representatives on energy conservation and distributed energy resource programs
- Procure products and services required to deliver programs, including the development of contract scope, selection of vendors, and development of customer agreements.
- Manage contracts and oversee external service providers
- Design and deliver presentations, workshops, and training regarding programs to internal and external interest
Why should you apply? We are big enough to have a large variety of projects but small enough to you be involved with many of those projects. This position will provide you the opportunity to manage, prioritize and execute projects and assignments and work with a large number of stakeholders across organizational boundaries. As an integral member of the Demand Side Management and Distributed Energy Strategies team, you will work with a very dedicated team of professionals who are passionate about their service to our community. We offer a work environment where work-life balance is realized.
What will it take to be successful in this position? The ideal candidate will come with three or more years of professional-level engineering experience and be technology savvy with a vision for the future of the energy industry. You will have an understanding of electric and gas utility systems, advanced metering technologies, smart utility practices, be customer-focused, and have the capability to analyze and articulate the costs and benefits of new technologies to provide business cases showing the overall value of projects. This position will require a balance of interpersonal and logical skills as well as a desire to learn and share in an era of rapid industry change. A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited university is required. An Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE) license or the desire to attain one is preferred.
What a career at Colorado Springs Utilities can offer you…
- As a community-owned enterprise for over 100 years, we offer the stability of providing a required service and commodity for our community.
- We are a diverse team of professionals who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community through new and innovative technologies.
- The opportunity to thrive and perform daily continuous process improvements resulting in transformational change
- This position provides you the opportunity to work with customers and multiple internal and external stakeholders
- We understand employees have competing priorities. That is why we have created an environment that embraces teamwork and flexibility.
Colorado Springs Utilities offers a comprehensive benefits program to help you and your family protect your health and financial security.
- Medical – Select from three medical plans including a Health Savings Account compatible plan
- Voluntary Wellness Program – Earn incentives, gift cards, and gym membership reimbursements
- Dental – Select from two plans including orthodontia coverage
- Vision Insurance – Voluntary plan covering a full range of vision care services
- Health Savings Accounts – Tax-advantaged savings account used for healthcare expenses
- Flexible Spending Accounts – Tax-advantaged spending accounts for healthcare and/or dependent daycare expenses
- Disability Insurance –Short-Term and Long-Term coverage provides income replacement for illness or injury
- Life Insurance – Term life coverage with the option to purchase supplemental coverage
- Paid Time Off – vacation, personal leave, sick leave, holidays, jury and bereavement
- Vacation Buy – Purchase additional vacation time
- Pension – Colorado PERA retirement plan funded by both employees and the organization.
- Retirement Saving Programs – Supplement your pension with PERA 401(k) or PERA Roth 401(k), ICMA Roth IRA, ICMA 457 or 457 Roth plan
- Educational Assistance – Financial assistance for qualifying courses
- Additional Benefits – Employee Assistance Program, and Long-Term Care Insurance