Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Corning’s summer internship experience is rich with hands-on learning. You’ll live, work, and experience the communities in which Corning operates, while building on-the-job skills. As our Intern, you will be involved with Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) which is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & Innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
The purpose of our Intern / Co-op Program is to raise the bar on talent by strengthening our pipeline for entry level roles for our immediate and future needs.
To be considered for an Internship or Co-op at Corning Incorporated, you must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. You must also have a current cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Shape your future; apply today!
- Competitive salaries
- Housing assistance
- Travel reimbursement
- Social and networking events
- Volunteer opportunities
- Community Involvement
This Co-Op position is in Modeling, Software and Analytics (MSA) directorate in the Manufacturing Technology and Engineering (MT&E) division located at Corning, New York. It offers an excellent opportunity to build industrial experience, collaborate with experienced technical staff, and solve challenging real-world problems accelerating Corning’s process/product developments and technical innovations.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provide model based analytical support to solve process problems likely involved chemical reactions
- Use rigorous scientific knowledge on flow, mass/heat transfer and chemical reactions/kinetics to build detailed technical understanding for key process steps
- Collect process inputs and develop models with the deliverables clearly defined
- Determine the technical approach and select the right modeling tools to solve the complex problems
- Work with process engineers for model validation and enhancement
- Communicate model learnings and make recommendations to the process team
- Write technical reports and documentations
Travel Requirements: We do not anticipate travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime:
- M-F, business hours
- Duration: Spring 2022;
Required Education & Experience:
- Current graduate student pursuing Ph. D or Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or related disciplines
- Independent research experience in academy or industry
- Strong fundamentals with flow dynamics, mass/heat transfer and chemical reactions
- Solid knowledge on reactions kinetics
- Experience with modeling software packages (ANSYS/Fluent, COMSOL and similar) or in-house programming
- Knowledge of numerical modeling and methods
- Work well in a team environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks
- Knowledge of multi-phase reactions and kinetics
- Knowledge on developing kinetics models from lab test data
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Customer oriented and commitment
- Ability to build relationships within cross functional groups
- Effective time management and priority setting