We have an opening on our Product Support team in the Baltimore Corporate office. The Chemist in this role will make and test DAP formulations in order to decrease cost, improve performance, qualify alternate raw materials and resolve production problems
- Product Support
Evaluate alternate raw materials in DAP formulas either for cost-savings or due to lack of availability of current raw material. Alter formulas based on VOC or other environmental regulations. Improve products to meet certain test methods or requirements. Evaluate products in alternate packaging
- Plant Support
Test production material to evaluate trends and verify products are meeting all required specifications. Evaluate feasibility of working off excess raw materials in different products.
- Technical Service Support
Test complaint samples submitted by Tech Services Dept. to see whether or not the product is defective. Communicate results via e-mail system.
- ISO 9001 Quality Management and Safety Compliance
Check and calibrate lab equipment on a regular basis. If instruments are out of calibration, return them to the manufacturer for repair. Perform regular duties such as verifying oven and freezer temperatures. Maintain clean and safe work area.
- Miscellaneous R&D Related Functions
Keep detailed records of work performed (lab notebook), write Completion Reports when projects are finished, enter raw materials and formulas into Product Vision.
Evaluate competitors’ products vs. DAP products in benchmarking projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science with courses in Organic Chemistry
- 0-5 years of hands-on bench experience with various chemistries (latex, moisture curing, reactive, etc.) in sealants, adhesives, coatings, repair or related field;
- Possess innovation skills evident as risk taking, result seeking, and idea integration;
- Experience operating lab scale mixing equipment as well as lab scale analytic and test apparatus;
- A passion for chemistry, science, problem solving, and creativity;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills;
- A breadth of technical knowledge and a keen interest in learning from others
- Ability to operate mid-size mixing equipment and various testing equipment
- Ability to work with many types of chemicals, both hazardous and non-hazardous.