The Research Associate (“RA”) program plays an integral role in Dodge & Cox’s investment process. RAs are part of a lean investment team, working directly with 24 investment professionals who analyze companies in the global economy. RAs benefit from working alongside investors with an average tenure of thirteen years at Dodge & Cox. RAs develop comprehensive skills centered on evaluating companies using financial analysis. The bulk of training is done on the job, supplemented by Thursday morning training sessions with senior professionals. RAs gain exposure to ideas across the firm through weekly research meetings.
RA projects are wide ranging. As a member of the investment team, RAs collaborate with senior professionals on all aspects of the investment process. RAs evaluate companies globally, but this particular position focuses more on Japanese companies.
Primary day-to-day responsibilities include:
• Financial analysis of companies, industries, and economies.
• Gathering data from databases on existing and prospective investments.
• Collecting company information from various sources.
• Preparing financial spreadsheets.
• Coordinating company meetings.
• Updating and creating internal presentation materials.
RAs frequently attend meetings with senior management of multinational corporations at our offices in San Francisco. Dodge & Cox’s reputation leads companies to seek us out as investors. We are often one of the largest shareholders of our portfolio companies.
The position is for two years, with the possibility of two additional years. RA alumni have attended leading business schools including: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, and Chicago.
The RA program targets candidates with a high level of academic achievement and leadership. Dodge & Cox recruits undergraduates from various academic disciplines, as well as candidates with previous work experience.
Candidates should have:
• Fluency in Japanese.
• Bachelor’s degree with an excellent academic record; coursework in accounting, economics and statistics a plus.
• Initiative and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong quantitative and computer skills, including experience with Excel.
• Excellent communication skills and desire to work in a team-oriented environment.
• Demonstrated interest in investment management.