This position is currently remote; however, the location will be San Francisco when we return to the office later in 2021.
Dodge & Cox is looking for an energetic, quantitatively minded team member to work with senior members of the Fixed Income investment team on data-driven investment research and portfolio management. Along with developing and maintaining forecasting models and portfolio analytics for the whole Fixed Income department, the Research Associate will contribute to the firm’s fast-growing Global Bond Fund by researching macroeconomic relationships, updating country databases, and assisting with client reporting. This position would be a good fit for those pursuing a longer-term career in financial data science and/or fixed income or currency investing.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Long-term research on factors that systematically forecast risk and return in fixed income and currency markets
- Developing dashboards to gauge portfolio risk, evaluate economic conditions, and assess investment opportunities
- Preparing, analyzing and monitoring a large array of global economic and financial data relevant to our investment process, including international debt metrics
- Performing portfolio analytics such as performance attribution and risk analysis
- Creating investment- and client- related presentation materials
The work above will be leveraged across the firm’s investment products and will provide the Research Associate with exposure to investment professionals and senior management across the firm. This is a two to four year position.
Dodge & Cox targets candidates with high levels of academic and professional achievement, in addition to leadership ability and interpersonal skills.
Candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with an excellent academic record; coursework in economics, probability, statistics, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in academia, at an investment bank or management consulting firm
- Python and SQL programming experience, or equivalent (e.g., R, MATLAB); experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau or PowerBI are a plus
- Demonstrated interest in economics and financial markets, preferably fixed income and/or currency markets
- A conscientious approach toward data analysis to ensure that results are always produced to the highest standards
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel