Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
After School Teaching Artist creates diverse learning experiences that focus on, but are not limited to, artistic, cultural or STEM activities for students in grades Pre-K to 5 in REAL Kids, DREAM’s nationally recognized elementary enrichment program. Previous enrichment activities offered include Karate, Hip-Hop Dance, Slam Poetry, and Art Club. Specialists deliver 45 minute-long sessions to teams of 18-20 students in grades Pre-K-5, supported by two Youth Workers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and deliver curricula for enrichment activities that are aligned to the DREAM curriculum and program model;
- Collaborate with Youth Workers and Program Manager to provide a cohesive and fun experience for youth;
- Embed literacy throughout all instruction;
- Prepare all materials before activities begin and facilitate a thorough clean up afterwards;
- Encourage youth to positively participate in activities;
- Serve as a role model while demonstrating professional behavior;
- Implementing all health and safety protocols as required, including ensuring child safety and responding appropriately to any incidents;
- Note: Enrichment activities that require materials/resources will be given a conservative budget on an as-needed basis.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- High school diploma required;
- Bachelor’s degree or certification in related field preferred;
- 2+ years experience working with groups of youth, or similar experience required;
- Ability to independently plan and implement lessons;
- Clear passion for and detailed knowledge of specialty area;
- Understanding of effective youth development strategies and conflict resolution;
- Exemplary social, organizational, and communication skills;
- Dedication to the program and ability to collaborate with colleagues to ensure a positive, productive youth experience;
- Ability to work in-person during all program hours required;
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the belief that all students can succeed, and a deep desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
DREAM Charter School Mott Haven
Immediate start through June 10, 2022
Hours: Fridays, 1pm-4:45pm
REAL Kids at PS 18
Immediate start through May 27, 2022
- DREAM Charter School Mott Haven – 411 Wales Avenue
- REAL Kids at PS 18 – 502 Morris Avenue
Hours: Mondays & Wednesdays, 2:45-5:30pm