Summer League Coordinator – Elementary – East Harlem
EAST HARLEM /COMMUNITY BASED PROGRAMS – ATHLETICS HEALTH AND WELLNESS /PART-TIME AND SEASONAL
Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking dynamic individuals to serve as Summer League Coordinators in our elementary-age REAL Kids program in East Harlem and the South Bronx. Our League Coordinators have direct oversight of their league, including supervising high school-ages coaches and serving as liaison between REAL Kids Site Managers and Athletics, Health, and Wellness staff.
The ideal candidate is a reliable team player with a commitment to youth development, familiarity with the sports of baseball and softball, and the ability to motivate and manage teenage and college-age coaches. The League Coordinators are key members of the program team and ensure the continued excellence, growth and sustainability of DREAM’s programs.
Like all DREAM employees, the League Coordinators should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
- Supervise 10+ high-school aged coaches
- Assist with implementation of youth baseball and softball program practices;
- Lead morning huddles with their team
- Oversee their leagues’ baseball and softball programming;
- Monitor youth and staff during practices and games;
- Attend and co-facilitate meetings with high school-aged coaches (daily) and college-aged coaches (2x/week);
- Aide in carrying out Program Quality Observations, All Star selection process, Head coach for All-star team and assists during Championship day;
- Conduct performance evaluations with high school-aged summer workers;
- Ensure all necessary materials are available for use on the field;
- Responsible for ensuring all playing surfaces are safe on a daily basis and for filing incident reports;
- Collaborate with program leadership and the baseball and softball staff to effectively integrate and continuously improve baseball and softball programming;
- Model and encourage positive youth behaviors and promote DREAM’s mission, values and organizational policies to all staff, participants and stakeholders;
- Participate in training, professional development and tactical meetings;
- Serve as liaison between program staff and baseball/softball staff;
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required;
- Other duties as required
- 18+ years old and high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Experience working in sports-based youth development;
- Ability to uphold, promote, and model youth development principles;
- Demonstrated strength as a baseball or softball coach strongly preferred;
- Experience playing baseball or softball strongly preferred;
- Experience managing/ supervising 10+ staff members preferred;
- Experience in summer youth program planning and development;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organization skills and attention to detail;
- Skilled problem-solver and self-starter;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), a plus.
Tentative Days and Hours
- June 14-August 13, 2021
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 8am-5pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 11am-5pm
- League Coordinators will be required to attend 2 paid days of training the week of June 7
- Program dates and hours are subject to change.
- Dream Charter School: 1991 Second Ave, New York, NY 10029
- REAL Kids at PS 146: 421 E 106th St, New York, NY 10029
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.