Summer Math Teacher – Middle School
EAST HARLEM /COMMUNITY BASED PROGRAMS – DREAM UNIVERSITY /PART-TIME AND SEASONAL
Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI), is seeking individuals to deliver academic enrichment courses at its summer program for middle school youth, DREAM University (DU). DU is a 5-week program designed to provide scholars academic and recreational opportunities that will help them continue to build the educational, health & wellness and social-emotional skills needed to position them to successfully enter the upcoming school year. DU runs from July 6th through August 6th, in person and will serve approximately 200 rising 6th – 8th graders. Incoming 6th graders and teachers will use the additional week to participate and lead a bridge transition program from Elementary to Middle School. The schedule will include components focused on SEL development, academic support and sports/recreational. All DU Summer Teachers will report to the Middle School Program Manager.
- Implement 6th-8th grade math curriculum in an engaging way, modifying it to meet the needs of diverse learners;
- Supervise and manage students at all times using positive discipline techniques and proactive interventions to ensure physical, emotional and internet safety;
- Collaborate with the Advisory and Program Team to help youth build social-emotional skills in areas such as teamwork, conflict resolution and self-esteem;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities;
- Lead a daily team meeting with students and assume advisor responsibilities with family outreach and student accountability tracking;
- Participate in external professional development and coaching meetings regularly.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters in Education preferred;
- Experience working with groups of children;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- Willingness to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for students and staff;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s mission and values;
- Must be able to work in-person at the program site during program hours.
Tentative Days & Hours:
- Dates: June 28, 2021 (training begins)-August 6, 2021
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30-2:00pm
- Program dates and hours are tentative and subject to change
- $5k stipend
- East Harlem (7th-8th grade): 1960 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10028
- Mott Haven (6th grade): 411 Wales Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.