Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as a Recess Coach at our elementary and middle school sites. The ideal candidate will be able to join DREAM starting August 23rd Candidates must also understand and value DREAM’s comprehensive approach to youth development and inspire, lead, and motivate DREAM staff to drive outcomes that support youth in recognizing their potential and realizing their dreams. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to use their passion for athletics, health, and wellness in a way that will positively impact children and communities.
Roles and Responsibilities for Recess
- Oversee a group of up to 18-20 youth during their recess time
- Plan indoor and outdoor activities
- Collaborate with team to facilitate various outdoor activities promoting moderate to vigorous physical activity
- Model and encourage positive participation in recess activities
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness and preparation
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies, including tracking incidents, and coordinating with supervisor and other staff as needed to implement
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must be able to work in person at the program site
- Familiarity with a sport or physical activity as a participant or coach
- Must be willing to work outdoors in cold or hot weather
- Minimum of 1 year working with groups of 20 school-age children in a classroom, athletic, or other youth development setting
- Strong understanding of the connection between athletics, health and wellness and other areas of a student’s life and wellbeing
- Strong ability to communicate verbally and in writing with a variety of stakeholders, including students in grades K-8, school administrators, and staff
- Experience with behavior management systems, including positive youth development, preferred
- Training or coursework in physical education, preferred
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting.
Hours and Location
- TENTATIVE DAYS AND HOURS
DREAM Charter School (East Harlem) – 1991 Second Avenue
August 23, 2021 to June 23, 2022
Monday-Friday: 16 hours/week
COMPENSATION: Starting at $16 per hour
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.