Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking an Assistant Coach for our 14U baseball team. Reporting to the Athletics, Health and Wellness Manager, the coach will be responsible for working with high school students in practices and tournaments for our 14U teams. Coaches will have a direct and meaningful impact on the positive development of the youth they coach. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with prior baseball and/or softball coaching and playing experience at a high level. Candidates must be an effective communicator and be able to motivate youth.
- Support head coach with leading weekly practices, facilitating team meetings, and organizing team equipment;
- Lead recruitment opportunities at local schools and tournaments;
- Provide a positive, team-based environment focused on coaching and baseball/softball skills;
- Responsible for the safe-keeping and collection of players’ personal documents;
- Support head coach with coordination of practice schedules and tournaments;
- Attend 1-3 weeknight practices and be available for weekend tournaments;
- Attend 3-5 overnight tournaments per season;
- Maintain inventory of all equipment and make sure they are kept in good condition;
- Make sure all relevant paperwork is filled out and kept up to date.
- Must be available July 14-July 19, 2022 for overnight MLB Youth Academy tournament.
- Experience as a player and/or coach is preferred;
- Knowledge in strength and conditioning;
- Ability to create a positive, team-based environment focused on developing youth’s baseball/softball skills;
- Experience with traveling for overnight tournaments with youth ages 18 and under;
- Must be familiar with the rules and regulations of baseball and/or softball;
- Highly organized, energetic and flexible;
- Strong verbal communication skills;
- Current driver’s license with clean record (ability to drive 15 passenger vans a plus);
- Bilingual (Spanish speaking is preferred);
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the belief that all students can succeed, and a deep desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
- Start date: late June/early July
- 1-3 weeknight practices: Practices on weeknights typically last 3 hours;
- Games on weekends last between 2-12 hours;
- Must be available July 14-July 19, 2022 for overnight MLB Youth Academy tournament
- Days + hours are tentative and subject to change.
DREAM’s VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, including a booster dose. Part-time staff hired for the summer season only, are exempt from the booster dose, however they must have received a 2-dose series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.