SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Provide formal and/or informal evaluations to detect the existence or non-existence of a speech/language disability. Assist in the development of an individualized Education Plan (IEP), based on student’s assessed needs, in order for student to make reasonable educational progress. Implement and document goals and objectives from the IEP in the least restrictive environment. Maintain positive interpersonal relationships with students, staff, parents and community members.
SUPERVISED BY:Special Education Coordinator
ESSENTIAL JOB ELEMENTS:
- Support the approved Eagle County Schools curriculum.
- Provide a therapeutic program to meet individual needs of students with speech and language disabilities.
- Serve as a resource to school staff members in the development of a balanced program for oral communication and speech/language improvement.
- Assist and guide teachers in observing, describing, and referring students who are suspected of having communication disorders.
- Assess a student’s communication abilities, which may include articulation, intelligibility, voice, fluency, and examination of oral structures, primary mode of communication, language comprehension and expression and social use of language.
- Provide screenings to identify speech handicapped children at regular intervals and at specified levels.
- Assist in proper referrals of individuals to agencies and specialists as appropriate.
- Provide appropriate individualized education in order for a student with a disability to receive a free appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and other school staff members to integrate speech/language goals with student’s academic objectives.
- Provide information, support, and counseling to parents and families.
- Provide in-service education and serves as a consultant to teachers and school staff members on topics communication disorders.
- Maintain confidential and thorough ongoing records for students receiving therapy or other related services.
- Maintain records of students referred, screened, and/or eligible for services.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and arranges equipment repair.
- Promote and maintain student behavior expectations conducive to learning, and maximizes learning time.
- Establish and demonstrate positive human relations with students, parents and other staff members, and the community.
- Maintain an ongoing program of professional growth that meets District expectations and personal professional goals.
- Comply with District and School policies and procedures including meeting with assigned students at scheduled location and time.
- Participate actively in the adopted District evaluation process, contributing to a mutual agreement on the summative evaluation.