Join one of the largest and most dependable non profit organizations in the nation!
For nearly 100 years, Easterseals has been the indispensable resource for individuals and families facing disability by providing services that make positive differences in people’s lives every day. Easterseals Southern California provides a variety of services that are designed to help people live, learn, work and play in their communities.
Join us at easterseals.com/southerncal as we work to change the way the world defines and views disabilities so that everyone can achieve their personal goals. #DisabilityTogether.
The Life Skills Coach plans and helps to conduct the daily activities of adult individuals who have special needs. In this role, you will facilitate learning experiences and help develop living skills consistent with an Individual Service Plan (ISP) and Individual Program Plan (IPP) objectives.
Qualifications we look for include:
- Experience working with individuals who have special needs (personal or professional experience considered)
- Ability to obtain and maintain both First Aid and CPR certifications.
- Ability to help with development of Person Centered Programming approach to therapy, and to create purposeful and meaningful activities.
- Must possess basic computer skills; demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Applications (i.e. Excel).
- Ability to learn and demonstrate the safe use of all adaptive equipment related to the program.
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing; ability to interpret and carry out verbal and written instruction.
- Must adhere to ethical practices and the core values of ESSC.
- Ability to provide assistance with personal care and transfer an individual who may have little to no weight bearing skills.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds repetitively. Ability to walk, stand, stoop, and kneel for extended periods of time. Ability to push people who use wheelchairs on a variety of terrain and support people with other mobility needs as required.
- Ability to tolerate an outdoor work environment inclusive of a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to pass a post-offer physical examination and a TB.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a criminal record/fingerprint clearance from the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation per Easterseals and/or Service requirements.
Duties in this role include:
- Supporting daily activities using a variety of techniques to assist in the development of community life and safety skills consistent with the goals of the individual.
- Assist individuals with planning, preparing, and executing a weekly schedule of activities, providing life-long learning skills and learning experiences according to service-provided ISP and IPP goals and objectives.
- Provide assistance with personal care which may include nutrition, personal hygiene and supporting the individual to look his/her best.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a Service Plan consistent with the individual’s personal goals. Assists with assessments, planning, and the evaluation process for individuals. May attend meetings with stakeholders to recommend changes to the service plan.
- Maintain all assigned documentation and data, including ISP’s, quarterly and annual evaluations, and case notes
- Provide guidance to the Personal Assistants as necessary.