Yard duty assistant ensures safety of students by supporting on the playground and in the cafeteria.
- Ensure the safety of students by supporting on the playground and in the cafeteria by using strong positive behavior management skills and an understanding of the developmental range of transitional kinder to middle school students to establish and maintain a positive, safe, and supportive school environment that values learning and achievement.
- Being visible and providing active supervision on and around the school grounds and securing and monitoring all exits.
- Consistently maintain work habits, appearance and behavior that serve as a model for students
- Support with discipline system per school wide progressive discipline steps
- Good communication and interpersonal skills; accuracy, discretion, and ability to work
- Crisis Management and intervention for students
- Support for student concerns (first aid, socio-emotional support, etc.)
- Support with one-to-one student needs, as assigned
- Facilitate sports and organized games with students
- Lead by example
- Communicate with families, teachers, and Deans of Culture
- Perform related duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience
- Experience working with youth ages is preferred, but not required.
- Must possess a growth mindset and be able to use feedback to refine practice.
- Able to build immediate and caring rapport with children of all ages and from diverse backgrounds; some understanding of child growth and development.
- Passion for teaching and working with students from urban communities, with specific knowledge and understanding of the needs of students from different experiences, languages and backgrounds.
- Excellent organization, time management and follow-up skills; high sense of commitment; ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively.
- Strong behavioral management skills.
- Able to work in a creative and demanding learning environment, including the ability to problem-solve and manage ambiguity and adversity.
- Sense of humor, high ethical professional standards, equity perspective.
Work Hours: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur 11:00-1:00.