Assurance – Audit Intern – Winter 2021
At EY Assurance, we build a better working world through innovation, so we can meet the evolving demands of business, regulators and investors. Through a quality EY Audit, supported by state-of-the-art technology and the finest people, we build confidence in business and the capital markets while meeting regulatory benchmarks, providing greater transparency to investors and the markets, and evolving the audit to supply more meaningful insights to audit committees and company boards.
Our auditors ask better questions that drive increased skepticism around financial information to protect and serve the public interest. It’s those questions our people ask during an EY audit that help generate wider economic and social benefits today and a strong legacy for a better tomorrow.
The broad business perspective you get in EY’s Assurance practice will serve as a launch pad to your career, whether you stay at EY to partner or seek a role in the C-suite. Our easy-to-use Audit Career Framework will help you map your successful career path, understand just what’s expected of you, and access the right learning, experiences and coaching to support your career progression. Along the way, you’ll develop a deep understanding of the inner workings of business and draw on your accounting knowledge to help solve complex challenges.
Your key responsibilities
You will spend much of your time meeting with our clients directly at their offices, undertaking audit activities to identify and resolve complex issues. When you start with the organization, you can join our audit practice and choose from a variety of industries (Consumer Products, Life Sciences, Industrial Products, Real Estate, Automotive and Transportation, to name a few). You will be given opportunities to work across these industries, which will provide deep knowledge of key drivers for success and risks specific to the industry. And if you know you have a strong desire to work within our Financial Services Organization, which is tailored to banking, insurance, funds or other financial industry companies, you may elect that path as well. Whichever you choose, you’ll find no shortage of opportunities to take on new challenges and responsibilities while discovering and developing your strengths and ambitions.
How will I spend most of my time?
• Identifying potential audit issues or unusual relationships in financial statements with detailed analytical trend analysis
• Demonstrating your professionalism while working in clients’ environments and providing exceptional service
• Operating effectively in a regulated environment, with a focus on protecting the capital markets and the investing public
• Developing and maintaining relationships with our clients to provide definitive auditing services that the capital markets and the client can rely upon
To qualify for the role you must have
• Or be working toward, an undergraduate or graduate degree in Accounting
• A strong academic record, including, without limitation, course work that EY deems relevant to this position
• A demonstrable plan for passing the CPA exam
• The ability and willingness to travel and work in excess of standard hours when necessary
• A driver’s license valid in the U.S.
• Knowledge and understanding of a professional working environment
• Excellent critical thinking and analysis skills, and the confidence to identify and resolve problems
• A genuine passion for protecting the financial markets via audit procedures auditing, and the resilience to prioritize and adapt in a demanding, fast-moving, constantly changing environment
• A proven record of excellence in communication and negotiation, supported by the technical writing skills to translate data into compelling stories and meaningful insights
• Strong Microsoft Excel skills
• Candidates interested in the Government & Public Sector focus must have sole U.S. citizenship and be able to obtain and maintain a secret clearance or higher, within the designated time frame, which will be determined by the engagement requirements for a security clearance.
Ideally, you’ll also have
• A passion for activities outside of your studies, especially promoting your ability to collaborate as part of a diverse team
• An eagerness to learn how our clients operate across different industries
What we look for
We’re most interested in well-rounded people who are naturally curious and ready to work on audit engagements from a wide range of backgrounds. In return, you can expect the support of great colleagues, as well the industry-recognized training you’ll need to grow in your career. If you’re a fast learner with great organizational skills and a genuine interest in audit activities, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
If you join EY full-time after your internship, we offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of 18 days of paid time off plus 12 observed holidays and a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being.
Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the profession
• Opportunities to develop new skills and progress in your career
• Gained flexibility through two-way communication and commitment with your engagement teams
As a global leader in assurance, tax, strategy and transaction services and consulting services, we hire and develop the most passionate people in their field to help build a better working world. This starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. So that whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.