Social Studies Teacher
Flintridge Sacred Heart is a Catholic, Dominican, independent, college-preparatory, day and boarding high school whose mission is to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. We are seeking an experienced Social Studies teacher to teach AP Government, AP Macroeconomics and Gender Studies. Successful candidates must have a strong background in American history and the ability to introduce students to academic research and writing with a focus on historical analysis. The ideal candidate will be experienced in integrating technology into their teaching, and ready to consider emerging technologies to enhance learning and student engagement. We are looking for a teacher who will participate in the school community outside the classroom, to support the mission of the school, and to collaborate with colleagues in interdisciplinary research based assignments. As part of a dynamic faculty, all teachers are involved in co-curricular programs and should share in a commitment to a holistic approach to educating young women.
Flintridge Sacred Heart educators are members of an innovative learning environment where committed teachers develop intentionally designed curriculums. Faculty is engaged in a 1:1 MacBook program, curriculum/ programming redesign and mapping, and teacher-driven professional learning communities. Dedicated to teaching and learning in a supportive and collegial atmosphere, our faculty “shares out” on best practices, technological integration, and instructional strategies via blogs, small group learning sessions, and visits to each other’s classrooms.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity is a vital element of Flintridge Sacred Heart’s mission to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. At Flintridge Sacred Heart, we seek to create and sustain a vibrant, inclusive community and we value and appreciate the uniqueness contained within each person so as to honor the diversity of God’s creation.
The ideal candidate will:
- commit to the mission of Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy.
- be able to create an environment in the classroom and in all areas of co-curricular responsibility that nurtures the development of faith, integrity and truth.
- demonstrate a strong commitment to equitable and inclusive classroom practices
- design and implement regular formative and summative assessments to measure student learning; possess knowledge of current trends in Social Studies education.
- be proficient in curriculum planning, instruction, and assessment.
- have experience with academic technology and/or an enthusiastic willingness to be trained to employ new tools.
- demonstrate skill in fostering a learner-centered classroom environment and challenge students to apply knowledge to real-life problems.
- be a reflective educator who models intellectual curiosity.
- actively participate in the school’s culture of inquiry and seek out opportunities for professional development to enhance content knowledge and pedagogical skill.
- possess a BA in History or other relevant area. A Master’s degree in History; 3-5 years high school teaching experience is preferred.
We offer a supportive environment, a 1:1 laptop program, ongoing professional development, competitive salary and benefits, and a dynamic community of colleagues and learners. To learn more about Flintridge Sacred Heart, visit our website at www.fsha.org. If this sounds like the career move you’ve been looking for, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, females, disabled and qualified veterans to apply. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.