Forestry Technician: Forester’s Co-Op; located in Grass Valley, CA, has an Immediate opening for a Forestry Technician for Forest and Vegetation management field work. We offer above average compensation and opportunities to gain varied work experience. Successful applicants will work jointly with professional foresters on all facets of field operations, with a focus on Timber cruising, Timber Sale preparation, Timber Harvesting Plan preparation, and Wildlife fieldwork. The term of this position is seasonal with potential for permanent advancement. Consideration will be given to academic schedules. Appropriate equipment and transportation will be provided. This position will be based out of Grass Valley, CA, with the potential for travel up to 40% of the time. All work will be under the supervision of an RPF.
• B.S. degree in forestry or closely related field and/or currently enrolled at an accredited college or university and working towards a degree in forestry or closely related field.
• High degree of self-motivation, excellent organizational skills, good decision-making skills and a good attitude
• Must be able to work in inclement weather and hike and negotiate step, brushy terrain
• Valid driver’s license
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Marking Timber under a variety of Silvicultural prescriptions
• Timber Cruising
• Timber sale layout
• Assist RPF with permit and/or management plan preparation
• Forest Practice rule compliance
• Reforestation and Herbicide application
• Familiarity with Northern California tree species, basic mensuration, and silvicultural techniques
• Working knowledge of a diameter tape, relaskop, hypsometer and other common forestry equipment
• Be able to navigate using a map and or compass
• Basic Math and computer skills, GIS skills a plus
• Proficient in Microsoft office suit (word, excel, PowerPoint)
• Working knowledge of GPS systems
• Must be able to work alone in the woods
• Operations of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs and 4WD vehicles)
Compensation: Compensation is competitively offered and based upon experience and qualifications. These positions are hourly non-exempt; overtime compensation will apply, with room for advancement and possible full-time salary position. Full-time salary positions include paid holidays, vacation, medical insurance, and a retirement plan with employee match.
To apply: interested persons please email cover letter, resume, and list of references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.