Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Cloud and Data Solutions (CLD) team within Fred Hutch’s IT organization is responsible for architecting, implementing, and maintaining scalable cloud services for scientific and administrative groups.
The Cloud Engineer will work with customers to understand their needs and translate those needs into business requirements. This role is responsible for the design, implementation, and support of solutions built in Azure, AWS, and GCP. The right candidate will have a strong appetite for learning and a desire to exercise creativity in an IT setting, as well as strong knowledge of cloud computing fundamentals. The Cloud Engineer II will report to the IT Cloud & Data Solutions Manager. Responsibilities include:
- Work with stakeholders to establish requirements for data projects and propose scalable solutions in a multi-cloud environment.
- Own project tasks, documentation, and customer communication for assigned work.
- Own Infrastructure as Code (IaC) solutions using Terraform, Ansible or other tools with support as needed from senior Cloud Engineers.
- Own automation of common tasks using scripting languages such as Python, Bash, and PowerShell with support as needed from senior Cloud Engineers.
- Own implementation of logging and monitoring solutions with support as needed from senior Cloud Engineers.
- Perform operational tasks, including but not limited to onboarding/offboarding of customers and role creation, and permissions management with support as needed from senior Cloud Engineers.
- Cultivate relationships with customers across Fred Hutch and Consortium partners and drive adoption of best practices and tools.
- Provide input for cloud adoption and cloud architecture.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of equivalent work experience
- Ability to advocate on behalf of the customer and synthesize pain points into a list of requirements
- Ability to manage one’s own time, projects, and day-to-day work
- Ability to work collaboratively, multi-task and prioritize a team or project’s workload
- Intermediate knowledge of AWS, Azure, or GCP services, such as: AWS S3, AWS EC2, AWS Batch, AWS Config, AWS IAM, AWS CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, AWS Networking (VPC, Transit Gateway), Azure App Service, Azure Storage, Azure Virtual Machines, Azure AD, Azure Networking, and Azure Monitoring
- Intermediate knowledge of Python, Julia, R, PowerShell, Bash, or other scripting languages
- Intermediate knowledge of GitHub, GitLab, or other CI/CD tools
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, OR equivalent education (coding bootcamps and continuing education certificates also acceptable)
- Previous experience in a research/educational setting and/or support of clinical trials
- Previous experience with Terraform, Ansible, or other infrastructure-as-code tools
- Previous experience communicating and presenting to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
Please submit a resume AND a statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our HR Operations at HRops@fredhutch.org or by calling 206-667-4700.