Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
Most Fred Hutch jobs require some on-campus work. However, there may be flexibility for certain positions. Please check with the recruiter if you are an out-of-state applicant interested only in working outside of the Seattle area.
As a member of Fred Hutch’s Communications & Marketing Department, the Employee Communications Specialist plays an integral role in supporting and implementing Fred Hutch’s communications strategy. Reporting to the employee and executive communications director, the position is primarily responsible for assisting the team with internal communications campaigns and managing inbound requests for employee communications support. You’ll partner with colleagues in communications and media relations, social media, owned content, and user experience, design, and web development, and you’ll work across the organization in both the scientific and administrative divisions on integrated communications and marketing initiatives.
- Advocate for employees and the Fred Hutch brand. Accountable for supporting the employee and executive communications director in developing and implementing internal communication strategies and campaigns that connect employees to the Fred Hutch mission, vision and values, and amplify diverse employee voices and activities in ways that advance the Hutch’s strategic goals, culture and brand
- Work in close collaboration with communications teammates and leaders across the organization, including in Communications & Marketing, Government & Community Affairs, Human Resources, Philanthropy, the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Research Administration, our scientific divisions and other cross-functional teams, to share ideas and communications resources that enhance the employee experience
- Evaluate, respond to and manage requests for employee and executive communications support from across the center. Provide recommendations and advise teams and individuals on communication planning and best practices.
- Develop and produce employee communications campaigns and programs and support high-visibility, integrated communications and marketing announcements and campaigns across earned and owned channels, including town halls and other events, intranet and other web properties, email and social media
- Write, edit, produce and distribute engaging content, including internal news stories and announcements, all-employee emails and newsletters, executive briefing and presentation materials, talking points and messaging documents, event content and social media posts, for employee audiences
- Support the production of virtual and in-person town halls and other events for employees and faculty
- Support employee and executive communications director in developing and deploying methods for gathering employee feedback and measuring the effectiveness and impact of employee communications
- Develop and update project trackers and status and analytics reports
- Use quantitative and qualitative data to identify new communications channels, content and tools that support employee needs and organizational goals
- Review and edit communications drafted by executives and other internal stakeholders and make recommendations to ensure messaging is consistent with internal strategy and Hutch brand and style guidelines
- Manage user-generated intranet content submitted by employees and update web content for the intranet and the Hutch’s public web site
- Assist in developing, updating and promoting the use of resources and toolkits to support communicators throughout the organization
- Continually scan the communications landscape to generate new approaches for enhancing internal communications and fostering an inclusive culture
- Coordinate and participate in communications trainings for individuals and teams across Fred Hutch
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field, or equivalent experience desired
- 3-5 years of experience in a communications role, with at least one year of experience in employee/internal communications. Passion for employee communications.
- Excellent writing, editing, listening and verbal communication skills and strong storytelling skills; basic understanding of/experience with creation and delivery of clear and persuasive communications for varying audiences via multiple channels
- Working knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), virtual meeting and event platforms (e.g., MS Teams, BlueJeans, Zoom) and marketing principles
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Proven ability to collaborate and influence within and across teams, and to cultivate strong relationships with people of different backgrounds, experience and expertise
- Experience tracking and managing multiple projects with differing priorities and deadlines while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate a responsive, customer service ethic
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Organized self-starter comfortable with ambiguity and complexity
- Analytical approach and creative problem-solving skills
- Available to work flexible hours as workload requires and to attend and cover occasional events outside of normal business hours
- Experience in health/life sciences, academic research, health care and/or nonprofit organizations
- Proven ability to plan and create content for communications campaigns and projects that inform, connect, and inspire employees in a range of role types and work locations. Be prepared to provide examples and/or creative ideas.
- Experience supporting change management programs at organizational and team levels while demonstrating empathy for diverse stakeholder groups
- Familiarity with content management systems (preferably Adobe Experience Manager), project management tracking tools (e.g., Asana, Basecamp), email marketing platforms (e.g., Eloqua, Convio) and surveying tools (e.g., Survey Monkey)
- Strong connection to the Fred Hutch mission
- Aptitude for distilling complex information (science, research, technology) into compelling stories and concise message points
- Familiarity with AP style
Please include a cover letter and at least one writing sample with your application.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.