Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Cohn lab, within the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, is recruiting a technician whose main focus will be HIV cure research projects. This candidate will work directly with the principal investigator to perform and analyze experiments using primary human samples to investigate HIV persistence. The candidate will also spend a portion of their time with general lab management responsibilities.
- Nucleic acid isolation from plasma, PBMCs, and tissue samples
- Analysis of HIV sequence by PCR and next-generation sequencing
- Sequencing library preparation (Illumina and PacBio)
- Tissue culture of primary human cells
- Flow cytometry-based analysis of human samples
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and report on experimental results
- Maintain thorough and detailed experimental records
- Order and maintain supplies for the lab
- Operate and carry out maintenance of laboratory equipment
- BA/BS degree and experience in Immunology, Virology, Molecular Biology, or similar
- Independent research experience in addition to college-level laboratory courses is required
- This candidate will have experience with basic tissue culture and molecular biology
- Previous experience preparing Illumina or PacBio sequencing libraries preferred
- Importantly, the candidate must be detail oriented, well-organized, self-motivated, and able to efficiently manage time and experiments
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.