Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Program in Immunology in the Clinical Research Division is looking for a highly motivated individual to support the development of genetically modified T cell immunotherapy for cancer. The successful candidate will utilize a variety of cutting-edge cellular and molecular techniques to analyze T cell immunity. The technician will work in the laboratory and be closely involved in the preclinical development of new T cell therapies and their translation into clinical trials. The incumbent should be capable of maintaining detailed laboratory records, analyzing data, managing supplies and reporting experimental results in a fast-paced environment.
The technician is responsible for performing standard and investigative laboratory work in support of scientific research in immunology by performing bench-level experiments, operating analytical instruments, recovering, compiling and verifying the accuracy of research data; performing calculations; preparing charts, graphs and summaries.
This position works under the direction of the Principal Investigator and senior laboratory personnel and will be involved in the following techniques/duties:
- Tissue culture of mammalian cell lines and (patient-derived) primary human cells
- Flow cytometry-based immunophenotyping, FACS isolation of mammalian cells
- Lentiviral vector construction, modification, and viral transduction
- T-cell cytotoxicity assays, cytokine production and proliferation assays
- Purification, cloning, and manipulation of genomic/plasmid DNA, cDNA, and RNA
- PCR and RT-PCR, including Taqman quantitative assays
- General laboratory duties and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- A bachelor’s degree in a biological science required
- Research Technician I minimum qualifications - Must have scientific knowledge in the area of study and basic laboratory skills. Independent research experience in addition to school lab experience is a plus.
- Research Technician II minimum qualifications - Intermediate level position requiring 2 years previous experience working in a laboratory. Independent research experience outside of laboratory course work is necessary.
- The candidate must be detail-oriented, a teamplayer and a fast and willing learner
- The ideal candidate has prior experience with cellular biology techniques including cell culture, multicolor flow cytometry and biological sample handling
- Experience working with primary T cells, FACS sorting and murine handling are highly desirable
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.