About The Role
Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. The ten-week Summer Intern Program is based in San Francisco and New York.
The Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their knowledge of the retail industry and determine whether they would like to pursue a career at Gap Inc. after graduation. As an intern, you will get to meet our senior executives and leaders in Inventory Management. You will work on impactful projects and you will have the opportunity to present to senior management. We invite you to participate in events, such as hanging out at a baseball game, happy hours, local excursions, volunteering in the community, etc.
Our Inventory Management Interns will gain exposure in the development, execution and communication of merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising, marketing, and financial objectives of a division/department. Inventory Management Interns will be expected to conduct benchmarking and/or marketplace analysis, so we are looking for candidates who have a strong self-starter attitude and can navigate through raw data. You will also work closely with other Inventory Management team members and partners to support, analyze and pilot various initiatives. Through this experience, you will gain familiarity with brand Inventory Management teams to develop skills necessary to effectively influence business and investment decisions.
What You’ll Do
- Support Inventory Management teams in managing the financial success of a division/department or class by meeting sales, gross margin and inventory productivity goals throughout the summer
- Analyze historical data and current trends. Identify risks and opportunities by division/department or class and solicit ideas for issue resolution
- Participate in formulation of pre-season strategy with merchant and planner plans by department, classes and/or style
- Partner with Inventory Planner in creating pre-season financial sales and inventory plans by department, classes and/or style
- Recap and review actual sales performance weekly/monthly to plan
- Partner with planner to identify risks/opportunities and develop action plans to achieve financial goals
Who You Are
- Undergraduate degree in progress with a concentration in finance, accounting, economics supply chain or business – accepting students that graduate in December 2022 and Spring 2023
- Strong analytical, research and problem-solving abilities to identify patterns, build strategy & drive results
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and ability to learn technical applications, terminology, and processes quickly
- Attention to detail and an ability to work with raw data to understand customer priorities
- Self-starter attitude with an ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong intellectual curiosity & willingness to learn
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Passion to work in the retail industry, previous retail experience is a plus