Do you want the opportunities and experience that a National firm offers, but without the Big Firm feel? Are you looking for a chance to get one on one kind of attention and individualized mentorship and career development? Come be part of a firm where collaboration is not just a buzz word, employees are listened to, and your coworkers might just become some of your greatest friends. Geffen Mesher is a mid-size firm with a small firm feel. We are one of Portland’s oldest and largest regional accounting firms (we have been around for over 85 years!!) and we are committed to attracting and retaining the best and brightest in this industry. We do this by leading with authenticity, fostering a positive culture, getting involved in the community, and having as much fun as we can along the way.
As part of our team you will have exposure to a variety of industries, extensive internal and external training opportunities, professional development by way of our Advisor program and networking opportunities, not to mention a state of the art workspace, competitive compensation and excellent benefits.
Who are you?
As a staff accountant you will choose to work in Audit or Tax and will perform a variety of work.
In Audit, you can expect to become familiar with pronouncements of the FASB, AICPA, and where applicable, government accounting and auditing standards. You will also become proficient at preparing financial statements and obtain exposure to the various types of financial statement engagements. You will assume responsibility for unaudited financial statement engagements and segments of audits and other accounting services engagements under the supervision of more experienced staff.
In Tax, you will become proficient in the preparation of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary and other tax returns prepared by the firm. You will assume responsibility for the preparation and completion of tax returns under the supervision of more experienced staff. You’ll also begin to get involved in tax research and assist with business consulting projects where appropriate.
Whether you are interested in Audit or Tax work, we want people who are passionate about accounting and providing top notch client service. Accounting is all about the relationships you build and foster – so you should also be comfortable developing relationships with co-workers and clients. We want people committed to our core values:
- Work with integrity and ethical values
- Communicate directly, openly and honestly
- Commit to long-term client and staff relationships
- Provide quality service
- Encourage continuous professional and personal growth
- Foster a fun and active environment
- Always be team-driven
- Be creative as well as innovative
- Exemplify a strong work ethic
· BS/BA in Accounting or related field
· Graduate/CPE Eligible between December 2021 and August 2022.
· 3.25 or higher GPA
· Strong interest in a career as a CPA, in a local or mid-sized firm
· Working knowledge of common office technology, MS Office Suite, especially Excel
· Strong, clear communicator – both written and verbal
· Possess strong aptitude for analytical, technical work and problem solving
· Must be able to manage multiple, parallel projects effectively and efficiently
· Must be able to work effectively as part of a team, while also be an independent self-starter
· Must be able to work flexibly, adapting and shifting between engagements with ease
· Ability to work under pressure, in a deadline driven environment is essential
· Be able to accept constructive feedback, and apply what you’ve learned
· Be receptive to coaching
· Highly organized and strong attention to details
Geffen Mesher offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, four weeks of paid time off per year, paid overtime, and very generous 401(K)/Profit Sharing contributions. We also offer a flexible work environment, summer hours, paid parental leave, paid time off to volunteer, and more! We provide comprehensive in-house, external and off-site training using a variety of high quality training resources, including our resources through RSM Alliance and DFK International.
Interested in finding out about what makes us truly different? Click here!