For over 30 years, GLAAD has been a dynamic media force rewriting the script for LGBTQ acceptance. Our work tackles tough issues that shape the narrative and provokes dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD operates with support from foundations, corporations and individuals from every corner of the United States. We pride ourselves on recruiting a highly skilled staff of more than 50 people in multiple offices and managing an annual operating budget in excess of $12 million.
GLAAD’s internship program is a unique opportunity to contribute to the inner workings of a national leader in the fight for LGBTQ acceptance. Our Communities of Color program is focused on implementing GLAAD’s goals for promoting visibility and understanding among communities of color, particularly Black queer communities, through the media as a means to educate the public on the issues facing the community and accelerate acceptance. The intern will be part of creating authentic and accurate portrayals and stories of LGBTQ people of color in the media.
This role requires an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who can manage multiple tasks. This individual is a team-player with an entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to learn and ability to manage multiple tasks while adapting to shifting priorities. This will be a hybrid remote 3-month, part-time paid internship.
- Work with Associate Director to develop innovative programming
- Identify new content areas for Black queer content creators
- Conduct Influencer audit for Communities of Color potential talent pool
- Assist with media trainings to local advocates, organizations, and talent
- Identify and obtain media access to staple Black cultural events around the US
- Write Op-Ed, blogs, articles, and social media toolkits for projects or campaigns
- Identify and connect with Black LGBTQ+ events, partners, and organizers
General Knowledge & Competencies
- Familiarity with issues impacting the LGBTQ community, particularly as it relates to racial and social justice
- Knowledge, sensitivity, and understanding of diverse LGBTQ+ communities
- Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Public Health, and/or Social Justice areas of studies is helpful in this internship
- Prior event planning experience with ability to conceptualize/implement projects
- An ability to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and a desire to be a self-starter
- Attention to detail and ability to think creatively to achieve assigned tasks
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets, email and internet research
- Strong commitment and passion for GLAAD’s mission and core values
Ideal candidate is a recent graduate (graduated within the past year) or an undergraduate/graduate student in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, digital media fields.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
GLAAD was established with the premise that expanding diversity within the organization enhances the work experience and furthers the understanding of the entire mission that GLAAD is based upon. An atmosphere of civility and mutual respect towards difference is indispensable to the work process and enables the free interchange of ideas that is the basis of a successful organization. These differences may be cultural, ethnic, religious, intellectual, ideological or political. Each of these qualities is integral to the identity we form as individuals, and all are essential to creating a vibrant workforce here at GLAAD comprised of individuals with unique perspectives and backgrounds. GLAAD has committed itself to a workforce of inclusion, respect for difference, and fairness, and guarantees the same rights to all its employees to ensure the fullest degree of success within the organization.