For over 30 years, GLAAD has been a dynamic media force rewriting the script for LGBTQ acceptance. Our work tackles tough issues that shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD operates with support from foundations, corporations, and individuals from every corner of the United States. We pride ourselves on recruiting a highly skilled staff of more than 50 people in multiple offices and managing an annual operating budget in excess of $12 million.
GLAAD’s internship program is a unique opportunity to contribute to the inner workings of a national leader in the fight for LGBTQ acceptance. The Spanish-Language and Latinx Media Intern is part of a dynamic team within the GLAAD Media Institute (GMI) department that monitors and responds to print and broadcast media as it pertains to GLAAD’s mission. Additionally, the Intern helps foster GLAAD’s role as a community resource within the Latinx community nationwide.
This role requires an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who can manage multiple tasks. This individual is a team player with an entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to learn and ability to manage multiple tasks while adapting to shifting priorities. This will be a hybrid remote 3-month, part-time paid internship.
- Writes, edits, and proofs written materials in Spanish and English, including media releases, alerts, and letters to media professionals, blog postings and other documents as needed
- Assists in GLAAD’s outreach to Spanish-language and Latinx news and entertainment media
- Develop and maintain relationships with Latinx and other community organizations and leaders in various states
- Researches newspapers, online sources, television and film media
- Helps manage training efforts and outreach to Latinx community groups.
General Knowledge & Competencies
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Oral, verbal, reading and writing Spanish-language skills preferred
- The candidate should have an interest in Spanish-language media and the desire to learn more about media outreach and media work in general
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and desire to be a self-starter
- Attention to detail and ability to think creatively to achieve assigned tasks
- Strong commitment and passion for GLAAD’s mission and core values
- Proficiency with office technologies including G-Suite and MS Office Suite
Ideal candidate is a recent graduate (graduated within the past year) or an undergraduate/graduate student in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, digital media fields.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
GLAAD was established with the premise that expanding diversity within the organization enhances the work experience and furthers the understanding of the entire mission that GLAAD is based upon. An atmosphere of civility and mutual respect towards difference is indispensable to the work process and enables the free interchange of ideas that is the basis of a successful organization. These differences may be cultural, ethnic, religious, intellectual, ideological or political. Each of these qualities is integral to the identity we form as individuals, and all are essential to creating a vibrant workforce here at GLAAD comprised of individuals with unique perspectives and backgrounds. GLAAD has committed itself to a workforce of inclusion, respect for difference, and fairness, and guarantees the same rights to all its employees to ensure the fullest degree of success within the organization.