NEW YORK, NY, US
About the Position
The Afterschool Instructor will work with individuals and small groups of participants under the supervision of the Director. They will provide supervision and instruction to students that will create a positive learning environment & allow for students’ personal, social & academic development.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare materials & equipment for afterschool instructional activities.
- Create and lead weekly enrichment classes.
- Lead group activities that are age appropriate in an atmosphere where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences, enhancing the social, physical & academic advancement of children in his/her care.
- Maintain a daily attendance log.
- Ensure maintenance of group control.
- Assure group compliance with codes of conduct.
- At least one year of relevant experience with school aged children & teens.
- Minimum of two years in college or equivalent experience.
- Experience in working with students from diverse backgrounds, specifically low income communities.
Core Competencies: Excellent Interpersonal & Conflict Resolution skills; Positive Attitude & Professional Demeanor. Must possess quality communication skills that reflect active listening. Ability to empathize with participants and plan appropriate interventions with staff and supervisor is paramount