Purpose of Position
Provides for the physical and emotional needs of the clients assigned to the cottage and facilitates a healthy group living experience. Participates in a multi-disciplinary treatment team in the care of clients. This position reports to the Cottage Life Supervisor.
Major Duties (*Essential Element)
· Operates according to Great Circle’s model of care and program operations manual*
· Functions within Agency’s policies and procedures (i.e. Employee Handbook)*
· Manage youth using safe crisis management without the need for therapeutic holds*
· Role model positive behaviors and coping skills for clients, using a strength-based approach in all interactions*
· Maintains the safety and security of the clients in care and attends to their needs in a nurturing way*
· Attends cottage team meetings, departmental, treatment, and planning meetings, and other meetings for the purposes of sharing information regarding clients and to discuss other matters pertaining to cottage life as well as participates in special program components including but not limited to School in the Wilderness, Changing Prisms, community service activities, etc.
· May transport residents to and from school outings, appointments, etc.
· Supervises clients in and around the cottage area, assigns and supervises daily chores, keeps records of allowances earned and dispenses, assists with school homework, and encourages participation in recreational activities
· Responsible for proper administration of medications and first aid per Great Circle guidelines and policies
· Keeps the cottage clean and orderly and in good repair, performs minor maintenance repairs, and through appropriate means beautifies the cottage grounds
· Evening and night supervision may include cottage checks, laundry, and other duties as explained by the supervisor
· Implements treatment plans and completes documentation as required*
· Performs other duties as needed for the betterment of Great Circle
Treatment milieu environment. Lighting and temperature adequate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This person must be able to pass SCM training and utilize techniques as taught. Must be able to sit or stand at a personal computer for a reasonable length of time typing and reading. This person must be able to see, hear, speak, walk, and sit. Must be able to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong customer service focus, excellent time management, oral and written communication skills. Must be proficient in Word, Excel and email applications. Class E driver’s license with good driving record, able to transport clients.
Required Education and Experience
· HS diploma or GED
· Bachelor’s degree in Social Services or related field – Required for St. Louis Intensive Behavior Program
· Some positions require possession of a current or obtain within 2 weeks, a valid MO Class E driver’s license
· Current, valid driver’s license and meet Great Circle requirement for driver’s insurance
Preferred Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in human services field
· Experience working with clients and families in a trauma informed environment