The Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center (JCC) seeks an organized, people-oriented, strong leader for the full time position of Director of Special Needs & Inclusion. Under the direction of the Chief Program Officer, the Director of Special Needs & Inclusion is responsible for leading Special Needs & Inclusion programming. The JCC’s Center for Inclusion & Special Needs provides important resources for individuals with special needs – and their families – by offering programs that are open to the whole community. Within the department the Director oversees programming including but not limited to Students That Are Really Special (STARS) and Chaverim. STARS is an important support system for families of students with special needs. Chaverim is a social, recreational, educational, and Judaic program for adults with developmental disabilities designed to increase social skills, create peer relationships, and welcome participants as active members of the community. In addition to department specific programming, the Director partners with agency departments, and external experts, to offer programs and services for all regardless of age, religious observance, income, or ability.
The JCC is a non-profit social services agency founded upon Jewish ethics and values. Committed to meeting the ever-changing needs of the entire community, the JCC strengthens Jewish identity and enriches quality of life through diversified social, educational, recreational, and cultural programs. Operating out of six facilities throughout Wisconsin, the JCC provides the total community with a forum for open dialogue and offers inclusive wellness, education, and community services for members and guests of all backgrounds.
As a community center, providing a safe and inclusive gathering space is a primary goal – and the JCC is uniquely prepared and trained to ensure that experience even in challenging environments. The health and safety of our family of staff is a top priority.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and provide department specific classes & programming.
- Partner with JCC departments & external experts to offer inclusive programming for the entire community.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and provide consultation with JCC Departments.
- Identify and develop new partnerships outside the agency that will bring value to the department.
- Provide strategies and oversee academic tutoring.
- Ensure that all department staff and volunteers are oriented and trained appropriately to ensure the highest levels of program delivery and standards.
- Partner with the Community Programs Director to complete United Way reporting for the Center for Inclusion & Special Needs.
- Adequately communicate program goals and plans to program users through a varied means of communication.
- Ensure the highest levels of communication with program users and members is achieved through active supervision and mentorship of staff. Ensure that this communication is varied and may include written plans, reflections, meetings, newsletters, and that all staff are adequately communicating program goals and plans to program users.
- Ensure JCC programs and classes are developed, recruited for, organized, logistically supported, and delivered so that a cohesive program is offered for JCC members and the greater community.
- Oversee the annual budget(s) of responsible departments and ensure that fiscal goals are met.
- Work with the Chief Program Officer to create a shared vision to offer consistently excellent programming.
- Ensure that JCC programs and community services are adequately staffed and that they have adequate supplies so that our programs maintain excellence in quality and delivery.
- Complete annual performance evaluations as well as initial reviews for direct reports as well as any other department staff under supervision in consultation and collaboration with their direct supervisors where applicable.
- Orient and train staff appropriately to ensure the highest levels of program delivery and standards.
- Participate in Staff Communication Meetings, Leadership Team Meetings, Supervisor training and professional development sessions.
- Assume responsibilities as assigned for JCC special events.
- Adhere to, and ensure CPO is apprised of any concerns, challenges, or other potential impacts to the JCC.
- Must actively promote and practice the organization’s Rules of Positive Communication.
- Perform the MOD duties as assigned on a weekly and annual basis.
- Perform other duties and assume additional responsibilities as needed.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements (KSAs)
- Ability to articulate the influences of Judaic culture on our programs to program users and staff and be sensitive to cultural differences.
- Knowledge of Judaic culture and traditions including but not limited to; Jewish holidays, rituals, and customs.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and enthusiasm in work style, create a positive and harmonious workplace, effectively manage time, understand individual leadership styles and its influence on the well-being of the department staff.
- Ability to resolve conflict effectively and demonstrate maturity as well as the ability to get along with a variety of people.
- Ability to respond effectively to constructive criticism and give constructive feedback to staff, and ensure that an environment which fosters maximum physical, social, cognitive and emotional development is developed and maintained.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer software: including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; customer-service orientation with specific strength in diplomacy and discretion strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of five years work experience serving special needs population is required.
What do we offer?
The Harry & Rose Samson Family JCC offers a challenging, dynamic, multicultural work environment with a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The JCC is committed to a culture that supports work-life balance, and invests in our culture by offering a generous paid time off package to full time employees. These include paid time for vacation, personal or sick days and paid observance of secular and religious holidays. Our benefits package includes Health, Dental and Vision insurance coverage, participation in our defined contribution 403B pension with an Agency contribution, and Group Life and Disability Insurance after one year of service.
Uniquely JCC Benefits
- JCC Membership: Every active staff member receives full JCC membership at no cost, which includes member access to our state-of-the-art fitness and aquatics facilities in Whitefish Bay and summer membership to the JCC Water Park in Mequon.
- JCC Program Discounts: Employees receive significant discounts on virtually all programs offered at the JCC and are actively encouraged to participate in our early education, wellness, camping, cultural, and enrichment programs.
The JCC is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call (414) 964-4444 or contact us at hr at jccmilwaukee dot org.