We are leading the INTERNAL recruiting efforts for Amethod Public Schools. Acting as internal staff and not as an agency, this position is a full-time permanent role with Amethod Public Schools.
At Amethod Public Schools (AMPS) our mission is to provide a rigorous college preparatory education and character development program that will prepare students from underserved communities to succeed in college and beyond.
High School Math Teacher – This position can be located at either of our 2 high school campuses: John Henry High in Richmond, CA or Oakland Charter High in Oakland, CA
The math teacher will teach some combination of Algebra 2, Precalculus, and/or AP Calculus, based on interest and skill and the needs of the school. The math teacher will hold students to high standards of achievement, while also supporting and differentiating as needed to enable students who are English Language Learners or who have skills gaps in their math education to achieve success in higher levels of math.
Our day to day work is embodied with a set of core values: Students First, Be Adaptable, Lead People, Results Oriented Mindset (Accountability), Commitment to be Distinct (Be the Change). We are looking for team members who exude these values and a passion for our mission.
We recognize that the number one factor impacting student achievement is quality, presence, and effectiveness of every teacher within the classroom. We find it crucial to recruit, develop, support and retain great educators as the key to the success of our students and the network as a whole. We look to recruit the best individuals from around the country, provide them with outstanding professional development, and create opportunities that will inspire their growth and commitment to education.
- Student Achievement & Character Development
- Set and hold students to high academic and behavioral standards
- Relentlessly demonstrate and embody the schools core values and ensure that students are challenged
- Believe in measurable student academic growth to increase individual student’s achievement
- Assess every student’s mastery of the content and diagnose areas of student misunderstanding
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge
- Prepare questions, model responses and practice effective instructional delivery
- Lead students through guided and independent practice and regularly check for understanding
- Ensure academic rigor by asking increasingly difficult questions, accepting only high quality student responses and posting examples of high quality work
- Use engagement strategies (e.g., rapid fire questioning, choral responses, tracking, non-verbal responses, etc)
- Meet needs of range of students, providing extra support, or variation of work
- Implement effective classroom management and create a positive classroom culture
- Create positive, engaging , achievement-oriented and structured learning environment where students are excited about and invested in their academics;
- Set and reinforce clear expectations and routines that are aligned with the school’s overall vision
- Discuss, teach, and reinforce character skills.
- Planning and Data Analysis
- Set measurable, ambitious yet attainable goals for the year and for each interim assessment cycle ;
- Use data from interim assessments, quizzes and informal assessments to inform and guide
- At all times, act in a manner in alignment with AMPS Core Values and any individual site norms to promote respect and professionalism among students and colleagues
- Be proactive in addressing issues to student safety and well-being (e.g., bullying, etc.)
Educational Background and Work Experience:
- 2 years of teaching experience with a record of high student achievement (preferred but not absolutely necessary)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with youth
- CA Teaching Credential in the corresponding field or willingness to seek credentialing if not already credentialed
- Must have passed the CBEST before the first day of school
Required knowledge and skills:
- Strong classroom management and presence
- Demonstrated mastery of subject matter
- Unyielding commitment to students, self and school’s constant learning and development
- Relentlessness – doing what it takes to ensure success
- Team player for the school yet competitive for the class
- Highly organized
- Belief in Amethod’s mission and Core Values
- Strong work ethic, no excuses, and go-getter attitude.